Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,574   Online: 1160

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314151617 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    At a recent family reunion (wife's side), I was using my Canon F-1N. I was repeatedly asked if I could show the "pictures" on the back of the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StephanA View Post
    A number of years ago, going through security at an airport, I opened my briefcase and the young lady there saw my Contax IIA. She was ready to call a security guard when another inspector (and I) told her it was a camera! She said she never saw a camera like that. If that's who checks carry-ons for TSA, we're all in a lot of trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    As far as your last sentence, given the poor pay, lousy working conditions, and general dislike from the public, how can we expect the "best and the brightest" to line up to work for TSA?
    Yes, we film photographers consider someone less than the best and the brightest if they don't recognize a camera made in the 1950s ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Yes, we film photographers consider someone less than the best and the brightest if they don't recognize a camera made in the 1950s ...
    Really--a lot of us have gear that a) would once have been only in the hands of professionals, before they all went digital, or b) haven't been common currency for many decades, and yet we expect people to have expert knowledge of these things? Even in the days when Hasselblad ruled the fashion studios, how many people ever got to see one, let alone hold one? Why should people who went on vacation with Brownies and Instamatics even care about such things?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Yes, but it still looks like the classic "camera shape" almost everyone is familiar with.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had an analogous problem (which was cleared quickly). I visited Chichen Itza national park in Mexico. The park allows still cameras in the entrance price, but charge extra for video cameras and tripods (the tripod charges are absurdly high). My Mamiya 645E (with the telescope finder) looked like a video camera to the entrance guard, but I showed him the film advance knob and he agreed. I thought his confusion was understandable, given the shape.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Mezei View Post
    I had the opposite
    Must have been around 2006. Was on an excursion with some young girls (first or second year university students) and I made them some photographs. When I gave them the prints few days later one of them asked me if I have a camera that can shot B&W. I didn't go into details about it T-400CN not being really B&W.
    That's a good one.

I was shooting the other day, and a man in his 40s asked me where I get my film developed. I told him that I do my own black and white film. His reply- "Isn't that illegal?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    That's a good one.

I was shooting the other day, and a man in his 40s asked me where I get my film developed. I told him that I do my own black and white film. His reply- "Isn't that illegal?"
    How utterly bizarre.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    mom was flipping out - "WOW! It's like looking at Hi-Def TV!".
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip J Fry
    But this is HD-TV, it has better resolution than the real world!
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    That's a good one.

It always amazes me that some one thinks something is illegal if they don't know about it. I am a pilot, and get that all the time. "can you really just go out to the airport and fly away"? I can't imagine anyone thinking developing your own film is illegal.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    It always amazes me that some one thinks something is illegal if they don't know about it. I am a pilot, and get that all the time. "can you really just go out to the airport and fly away"? I can't imagine anyone thinking developing your own film is illegal.
    +1 on both counts. The only reason I could think of for thinking developing film would be illegal would be assuming that it requires chemicals too hazardous for public purchase.

Don't even get me started on aviation. Oh, too late...I've run into people who can't understand how on earth an airport can operate without a tower, the almost universal (non pilots - and totally wrong) believe that you have to file a flight plan for every flight and on and on. (You don't need a flight plan for flying in visual weather any more than you need to file a "drive plan" to drive to the store.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin