Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,471   Online: 946

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    How utterly bizarre.
    In Germany, everyone is so concerned about "green," and there are so many regulations. I can't even buy a decent bottle of rubbing alcohol without going to a pharmacy. I haven't even seen Clorox bleach, or anything like it, the whole time I've been here.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    In Germany, everyone is so concerned about "green," and there are so many regulations. I can't even buy a decent bottle of rubbing alcohol without going to a pharmacy. I haven't even seen Clorox bleach, or anything like it, the whole time I've been here.
    If you're using it for photographic stuff, buy isopropanol online. The drug store rubbing alcohol is crap and you can get 99.5% grade fairly cheaply online (at least if you can get it shipped to you).

But yes, there's so much hype about green this, green that. Not a whole lot of talk about how ungreen semiconductor manufacture is, unsurprisingly.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    It always amazes me that some one thinks something is illegal if they don't know about it. I am a pilot, and get that all the time. "can you really just go out to the airport and fly away"? I can't imagine anyone thinking developing your own film is illegal.
    I'd love to have a license to fly, but that would be too much for the wife! She hates the way I drive.

Some things here are illegal. For instance if you call a female driver a fat pig, you will get a large fine, I think it's running about 500 Euros. You'll get, and serve, more time for stealing than for killing someone. It's quite confusing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    If you're using it for photographic stuff, buy isopropanol online. The drug store rubbing alcohol is crap and you can get 99.5% grade fairly cheaply online (at least if you can get it shipped to you).

But yes, there's so much hype about green this, green that. Not a whole lot of talk about how ungreen semiconductor manufacture is, unsurprisingly.
    Semiconductors are made in third-ish world places, so we're safe...

As for the green thing, it's all way overdone. It's more a political distraction than anything. I believe living a decent life and respecting nature will do more for the ecology than any thousand green initiatives.

I buy the regular rubbing alcohol for cuts and shaving, the high grade I can sometimes get shipped.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    +1 on both counts. The only reason I could think of for thinking developing film would be illegal would be assuming that it requires chemicals too hazardous for public purchase.
    I don't know if I can buy the components, I haven't advanced that far. I'm happy with the Ultrafins and HC-110 for film, and Eukobrom for paper. The impression I get is that I started trying to buy it, I may get questions about non-photographic uses.

I once went to a photo place who advertised Baryta prints, and they couldn't even find a place in Bavaria after many calls. They told me that large scale labs were going away because of the legalities of it. I found a place in Stuttgart that will print my negatives on FB paper. They said there were not a lot of issues with the legalities, it was just people unwilling to pay the prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Semiconductors are made in third-ish world places, so we're safe...
    Well, DE might be "safe", but it's surely not a green thing in the grand scheme of things.

As for the green thing, it's all way overdone. It's more a political distraction than anything. I believe living a decent life and respecting nature will do more for the ecology than any thousand green initiatives.
    Yes - while heavily reducing consumerism and throw away society.

I buy the regular rubbing alcohol for cuts and shaving, the high grade I can sometimes get shipped.
    Myself, I tend to use hydrogen peroxide for cuts. Never really use anything for shaving.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd have to throw out all my white clothes if I couldn't buy bleach!

Do you think that was why he thought it was illegal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd have to throw out all my white clothes if I couldn't buy bleach!

Do you think that was why he thought it was illegal?
    Use a deodorant Roger, bleach trashes cotton. ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No it doesn't. Or, if it does, the rate is so slow I don't care. I've been washing all my white shirts, white socks and tighty whiteys in hot water / bleach since my mom taught me to do so. When my wife, then girlfriend, moved in I quickly took back over the laundry because otherwise it wasn't done to my satisfaction. Otherwise whites become dingy grays.

I use it for other things, like cleaning the bath mats, getting the coffee stains out of coffee cups - indispensable household supply in my view.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use cold water, no bleach, hang dry everything. No excessive grayness but then again no punchy whites either. Line drying, non heat drying is the biggest way to increase the lifetime of clothes by far but avoiding bleach doesn't hurt.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin