Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,000   Online: 837

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314151617 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Well, DE might be "safe", but it's surely not a green thing in the grand scheme of things.
    That's true, but the perception is that we're safe. It's not just here, either!

Yes - while heavily reducing consumerism and throw away society.
    Unfortunately, everything today is designed to be throw-away. It's called "planned obsolescence," and it's how we managed to keep a stable econmony. Unfortunately, it also played into the hands of those would undermine our ability to be self sufficient.

Myself, I tend to use hydrogen peroxide for cuts. Never really use anything for shaving.
    Peroxide kills germs, but may slow down healing. If I don't dry shave followed by an alcohol wash, I break out bad.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I'd have to throw out all my white clothes if I couldn't buy bleach!

Do you think that was why he thought it was illegal?
    I'm pretty sure that's why.

As for life without bleach, my wife uses it, too. Cleaning counter tops, clothes, and any of a dozen other things.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    No it doesn't. Or, if it does, the rate is so slow I don't care. I've been washing all my white shirts, white socks and tighty whiteys in hot water / bleach since my mom taught me to do so. When my wife, then girlfriend, moved in I quickly took back over the laundry because otherwise it wasn't done to my satisfaction. Otherwise whites become dingy grays.

I use it for other things, like cleaning the bath mats, getting the coffee stains out of coffee cups - indispensable household supply in my view.
    I agree. The only problem with using it on clothes, to me, was when I used too much. It turned my white t-shirts yellow. It does the same to polyester.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clothes don't cost so much that I have to maximize their life at the expense of my convenience.

Anyway, whites get hot water and bleach. Towels get hot water but no bleach (unless they are white in which case they go in with the whites.) Other clothes get cold water and regular detergent, unless very badly soiled in which case warm water might be called for, gentle cycle for the colored clothes but regular cycle for towels and whites.

I agree line drying makes clothes smell nice and last longer, but I dry them in a dryer because it's quicker and easier and that's more important to me.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The main reasons I don't use a dryer:

1. Trashes the clothes.
    2. Saves energy.
    3. My clothes don't shrink and last longer.

Dryers suck!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My wife just discovered line drying. For her it's a boonm as our dryer is the German kind that doesn't dry, it just sort of heats them up. It saves her running to the laundry, and when the weather's good she enjoys the time outside. She says it's relaxing. That's what I have film for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was looking to post on responses to using a film camera.... but I found that
    Dryers suck!

Well, I actually find them very liberating during the monsoons (even the ones that dont *dry* a 100%) and the rainy season here can be any time of the year - all it takes is a cyclone on either coast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    It always amazes me that some one thinks something is illegal if they don't know about it. I am a pilot, and get that all the time. "can you really just go out to the airport and fly away"? .
    BWHAHAHA, This just made my day.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    As for life without bleach, my wife uses it, too. Cleaning counter tops, clothes, and any of a dozen other things.
    A few years ago I had an argument with a woman at work... she suggested using bleach to clean her teapot!

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I got asked by a woman Sunday if I was "blitzing" traffic for speeding tickets. I was at a parkplatz, down a hill, on the bike path, and the camera was pointing toward a stream.

I guess my coworkers were right when they said my 4x5 looks like a radar screen.

BTW, my wife hasn't tried cleaning teapots with bleach, yet.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin