Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,989   Online: 1110

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Soak tannin stained pots in a solution of sodium bicarbonate. The same thing revives all manner of tired old plastic drinks bottles. A bachelor friend serves tea in cups with deep brown stains. Call me squeamish but I can't enjoy the ghosts of a few hundred brews next to my lips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFox View Post
    So-called stainless steels contain chromium (and usually nickel) in the alloy. Chromium oxide forms on the surface and forms a hard passivation layer (similar to the aluminum oxide layer that forms naturally on aluminum).
    One should never use steel wool (or steel wool scouring pads such as Brillo) on stainless steel. Fine iron particles from the steel wool can get under the abraded-off chromium oxide surface passivation and then rust.
    Tim is correct. If you have a stainless vessel with rust stains from this practice, it is not difficult to re-passivate. Commercial passivation uses heated nitric acid solutions to dissolve the free iron and therefore passivate stainless, but at home a person could just use plain vinegar and letting it sit for a while, then rinsing with clean water. Heating it would speed up the process. It might take more than once. If it's a stainless pot, even cooking something acid like tomatoes will dissolve the free iron over time.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What was this thread about?!!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Something to do with tea, I think.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    What was this thread about?!!!

Steve.
    Wasn't it about someone who was given attention by carrying a dirty teapot pinhole camera?

Shooter
    35mm
    To get back on topic, if I were made fun of/given grief for using my analogue camera, I'd be inclined to say something like "well, I don't like your shirt/haircut/car/nose (or whatever was appropriate), but I was taught to be polite and keep my opinions to myself!"

I confess I said something similar to someone who said to me "only retards still use Blackberry phones", when he saw me using mine. (Haven't seen him since!)

(Reminds me of the story of Winston Churchill, who, when rudely and publically scolded by a lady "Mr Churchill, you are drunk!", replied, "and you, Madam, are ugly, but I shall be sober in the morning....". )

Happy days!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    someone asked me a while ago if analogue photographers had "neckbeards"
    i am guessing that was some sort of insult ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    someone asked me a while ago if analogue photographers had "neckbeards"
    i am guessing that was some sort of insult ...
    From Knowyourmeme.com-
    Neckbeard is a pejorative term referring to unattractive, overweight and misogynistic Internet users who wear a style of facial hair in which a majority of the growth is present on the chin and neck. Neckbeards are commonly associated with hipster stereotypes and Internet addicts who frequent websites like 4chan and Reddit.

Of course, most of us here aren't hipsters or wannabes, so I think the correct answer might be something like- "No, now go back to your game closet."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Anyone ever make fun of you or give you grief for shooting film?

All the time........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone ever make fun of you or give you grief for shooting film?
    The only person who does is my printer, who gets away with it because he is a friend. He is a digital junkie and a commercial photographer so I cut him some slack.

Mostly I get looks of wonder, as if I have mastered levitation, flying (without an airplane) or invisibility.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin