Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,550   Online: 789

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We did get burgled a few years ago. After seeing various drawers pulled out where the jewelry was, I immediately went to the closet where my camera bags were. The bag holding the Leicaflex and Leica lenses had been pulled down and opened, and left there. Had they known the street value they might have decided to take it!

Shooter
    35mm
    yes it has happened and quite recently too, but I treat them with utter disdain because they don't really know what they are talking about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See below.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My brother does, but then again he is always into what he perceives is the latest and coolest stuff, and insults anyone not into the same as inferior or ignorant. He is the type who rides his $1,500 carbon-fiber bike halfway down a parkway, takes the bus back, and tells everyone how serious he is about biking (damn yuppie).

Out in the wild, if someone gives me grief about film, I go off on a technical tangent about megapixels, conventional versus foveon sensors, line pairs per mm, archivability of film and hard drives, etc. Now, I don't know as much as the people on this board do, but do know enough to make someone sorry they bothered me
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I can't wait to see what happens when the Cambo 4x5, with all its knobs and levers, finally greets the public.
    I've gotten strange looks, questions about can I still get film for it, and been asked why I was surveying their farm (wooden tripod might have been why the last).

I haven't really gotten much grief except in some photo clubs. In one, they were mostly joking, in the other it was more of a "Emperor's New Clothes" kind of attitude.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's funny because it's always the extremes:

Either they ask if I'm a "professional", or else they imply that I'm too dense to have realized that it's the digital age now.

Most have a good sense of humor. I was lugging my 8x10 on tripod up to a lake near Mt Rainier and a lady said: "you don't have to go up there, I already photographed it with my cell phone".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I find people are intensely curious! I was recently shooting in the Heights (historic neighborhood in Houston) with my Brownie and noticed a man watching me closely. I figured I was going to get fussed at for shooting in this area, but it turns out he used to have a Brownie and just wanted to talk about it.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In one of my photo clubs, I just identify myself as the resident luddite, and we all have a good time.

Most of the other members have a history with film, and a few still shoot some, but I'm the only one (of 100) who still prints in a darkroom.

Strangely, it is my brother who complains the most, but my nearly 92 year old Kodak retiree father just looks at him askance.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grief? Actually no.... Curious remarks and looks? Pretty much all the time. It's almost funny when I use a TLR or old folders. Older generations always look and smile. I'd love to do the same with Speed Graphic or something with that flash and have someone dressed like a superman follow me around.

I dunno... it amuses me.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    The only attention I've had is the usual one of people being interested in the fact I still use a film camera. It's always positive or neutral but two weeks ago I was shooting an event with a Canon T90 (easily mistaken for a DSLR at first sight) and a chap with a Nikon D-something just kept glaring at it as though I was personally holding back technological progress. Perhaps he thought I shouldn't be breathing the same air as someone who'd blown £3k on kit.

I did get some expressions of incredulity last month when a guy at a local camera club stand saw me with an old Nikkormat. He asked me how long it would be before film production ran out and I said it didn't matter, I had two freezers full of film.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin