Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,267   Online: 777

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^^Maybe the guy was just just hatin' on you having a Canon. You know how some of those technophiles can be. One reason it's fun using Pentax. It gets all their panties in a twist.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    The only attention I've had is the usual one of people being interested in the fact I still use a film camera. It's always positive or neutral but two weeks ago I was shooting an event with a Canon T90 (easily mistaken for a DSLR at first sight) and a chap with a Nikon D-something just kept glaring at it as though I was personally holding back technological progress. Perhaps he thought I shouldn't be breathing the same air as someone who'd blown £3k on kit.
    Some people need others to follow in order to feel validated. You may have made him too aware of how much he spent.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The closest I can think of was a few months ago when I was at my local camera shop.

I had recently signed up for a class they offer that was going to cover the use of some new studio continuous lighting technology. The guy who was to teach the class was there as I was showing off my then newly acquired RB67 to one of the other guys. He looked at me and said (somewhat sharply) "You're not bringing that to the class, are you?"

Maybe I should have brought it, just to tweak him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get "Wow, do they still make film?" and "Wow, you shoot film!?!), and everything in between.
    The people that treat me with disdain get a brief (and polite) response from me...the folks that are intensely interested...we usually have a fun and interesting conversation. The best part is that I get clients because I shoot film, and I also get referrals from other professionals because I shoot film...that really makes me feel good, because then I know there are still folks out there who value it, besides us photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    My co-workers are convinced I'm nuts. But out in public, people's attitudes change as the camera gets bigger and weirder. Carrying a 35mm slr, I'm a dinosaur or luddite, hopelessly behind the times. If it's the Zeiss folder, I'm an eccentric curiosity or antique collector. But when the beastly Mamiya tlr is in play, I'm a serious photographer, engaged in serious photography. I can't wait to see what happens when the Cambo 4x5, with all its knobs and levers, finally greets the public.

I am starting to wonder if, with the rise of phone cameras, dslr shooters are starting to get looks.
    I have had this before - walking around with something like a Bronica SQA usually is greeted with remarks of "are you a professional", or "what magazine are you covering this for..."

But, I have to admit I get plenty of curious comments when I use something like the Koni-Omega. Problem is, if I have it out, as sad as it sounds, it is generally just for s..ts and giggles and I am not really using it overly seriously.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    But, I have to admit I get plenty of curious comments when I use something like the Koni-Omega. .
    I got the best comment walking down the street with a K-O--someone said "What the hell is that! That's crazy!" A testament to its classic design, I guess.

But yeah, mostly people are curious or ask if I'm a pro (I tell them the reason I have all this stuff is that pros gave them up for cheap). They want to know if you can still get film. Some of them want to tell me about once having a camera like it. That's assuming they even notice you. Most people pay me no mind. The people who are assholes are the ones who are bugged by there being a camera, not what kind it is.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One of the funny ones is, especially from older folks who used to use only film, if my camera will shoot in color. I often get asked if that's why so many of my film photos are black and white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haven't had any grief at all, but definitely interest. I've had one old pro who told me some war stories from back in the day, explained that he could never "go back", but he respected the fact that my choice differed from his.

I've been lucky perhaps in finding a local photo group which isn't chock full of photo gear heads. Just people who enjoy photography. I seem to have been dubbed the resident B&W expert (God 'elp 'em LOL!) and we even had a "film inspired" photo walk with limits set on number of shots per card, ISO changes and no chimping allowed. I may even have inspired a couple of others to at least run a roll through their old film cameras one in a while.

So, to date, all positive.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    The closest I can think of was a few months ago when I was at my local camera shop.

I had recently signed up for a class they offer that was going to cover the use of some new studio continuous lighting technology. The guy who was to teach the class was there as I was showing off my then newly acquired RB67 to one of the other guys. He looked at me and said (somewhat sharply) "You're not bringing that to the class, are you?"

Maybe I should have brought it, just to tweak him.
    You should have absolutely brought it. If he can't teach the methodology without a digital toy in his hand, then...
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One older lady in metro said "finally someone in this city with a proper camera" when she looked at my nikon F with 50/1.4

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin