Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,903   Posts: 1,521,221   Online: 1094

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No, never had a problem with that.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "Can you still buy film for that?" remarks I find particularly hilarious. No, lady, I'm just carrying around this obsolete chunk of metal and glass just for the heck of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Generally I've found people are just interested or excited, especially in the medium format cameras. I was shooting a Rolleiflex in a museum in Berlin last winter and a French tourist and his daughter walked by. He had some massive, expensive pro digital body around his neck, and he looked at me and then said to his daughter excitedly something that sounded like "that's a real camera!"

The only time I can think of where someone was giving me a hard time was when I was using a 4x5 view camera in the woods, within distance of a nearby path. Someone called out "are you shooting fairies with that?!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    The "Can you still buy film for that?" remarks I find particularly hilarious. No, lady, I'm just carrying around this obsolete chunk of metal and glass just for the heck of it.
    Heh, indeed. In that vein, I was in CVS picking up a developed roll (before I switched to a local pro lab) and the lady in line behind me expressed surprise that film was still available. The sad thing was, guess what was on display *directly* behind me, right there in her line of vision?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If people in the street ask me " if you can still get film for that", I tell them , "no you can't, I'm just posing"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If people in the street ask me " if you can still get film for that", I tell them , "no you can't, I'm just posing"
    Why not say, "Yes, you would be surprised how much film is still available."
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Why not say, "Yes, you would be surprised how much film is still available."
    I prefer let them stay ignorant, I'm not in the business of "casting pearls before swine"
    Ben

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had the usual variety - ITAH, is it a movie camera, can you still get film, I (my dad, my aunt) used to have a camera like that, but the one that gets my goat are the guys (it's never been a woman) who think I need a lecture on all the reasons digital is SOOOO much better than film. GRRRR!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    but the one that gets my goat are the guys (it's never been a woman) who think I need a lecture on all the reasons digital is SOOOO much better than film. GRRRR!

... and yet we have lots of people here doing the opposite: lecturing on all the reasons film is SOOOO much better than digital

Loosen up a bit. Both systems have advantages and disadvantages. Choice of a system is a matter of personal choice.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are advantages and preferences on both sides. I'm quite happy to let digi photographers do their thing. When asked I state that I prefer film, and if pressed, explain that I haven't got the patience to sit in front of the computer editing digis. It's the guys who still persist in lecturing me after that, that bug me. I'm too polite, too Canadian to tell that to F-off and let me get on it.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin