Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,257   Online: 854

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    The "Can you still buy film for that?" remarks I find particularly hilarious. No, lady, I'm just carrying around this obsolete chunk of metal and glass just for the heck of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    This usually happens when I'm wearing my Rolleiflex around my neck. When I hear that and I'm in a puckish mood, I respond, "No, I'm actually Flavor Flav's illegitimate half-brother, and this is how I rock my bling". If I'm in a good mood, I just tell them "yes, I can buy film locally at Calumet Photo down on E Street, and I can get the color film developed there. I do my own black and white processing".

I once had a schmuck ever so full of himself with his APS-C sensored Nikon D600 or somesuch come up to me while I was out shooting with my 8x10. He sneered, "but I can shoot 500 pictures without having to change memory cards. Why do you use something like that?". I responded, "One: I don't need to take 500 shots to get a good one. Two: I print my images using antique processes - I want a negative this big. I CHOOSE to use this technology because it does what I WANT". Then he said something about resolution - his camera was maybe 10-12 megapixels. I replied "If I scan this negative, this is about 500 MEGAPIXELS. If I have it drum scanned at a lab, over a GIGAPIXEL" as the shit-eating grin migrated from his face to mine, he tucked tail between his legs, and slunk away quietly. Apparently he was measuring his manhood as a factor of quantity not quality. He was the rare exception though when I'm out using large format gear. Almost everyone has been very fascinated by and appreciative of the cameras.

But I'm still baffled by the "can you still get film for that" question - what kind of psychotic idiot do you take me for that I would be out using the camera if I couldn't actually make an image with it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As a recently re-converted digital to film user, I encourage you all to go gentle on the digiphotogs. They don't know any better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I smack them on the nose with either my f-1 or rb67... both are fine, thanks for asking.

actually i've never been bothered. but in a town full of tourists, wielding cameras every which way, i guess it's normal to expect someone with a camera to be around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use F1's, and if you hit them with them the're so heavy they might never get up
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    The "Can you still buy film for that?" remarks I find particularly hilarious.
    I have only had that question once. I answered "no, I just like the sound of the shutter".

The person asking me was the driver of our local bus company's vintage 1939 bus. I had a good conversation with him which got him interested in resurrecting his Agfa Isolette which he still had in a drawer. It turned out that he once had his own darkroom which was abandoned to digital which he now found flat and boring.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    One older lady in metro said "finally someone in this city with a proper camera"
    I had a proper camera comment few years ago when I was at a ploughing competition taking pictures of shire horses with an RB67.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, the most devastating remark I've had while photographing was back when all there was was film, sometime like 1969 or something like that, when I was around 17 or something. I'd taken a Samsonite briefcase and put foam in it so I could carry a camera and a couple of lenses, sort of a wannabe Halliburton. And I'd invited my friend's sister, whom I sort of had ideas about, to go to San Francisco for a visit. So there I was, with this girl, hauling around this hard-side briefcase, when two young women in their early twenties saw me (and the girl), and one remarked loudly, "Oh, look! How cute -- he's running away from home!" Crushed, absolutely crushed, in front of this girl I was anxious to impress. I'll admit in retrospect, I probably did look like an absolute dork.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was once shooting with my Mamiya C330F and a couple of teenage girls asked me "where you do you put the coal in it ?"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For years now, every reaction I've had to film cameras has been positive. Sometimes people find the large-format routine amusing, which I'm fine with---I mean, I'm standing out on the sidewalk crouching with my head under a black cloth and fiddling with a hundred-year-old machine on a tripod, and it *is* pretty amusing!

I've been asked why, but only as an honest question to which I give an honest answer: I just like doing it. If there's enough of a conversational connection, I might talk about contact printing and the pleasure of doing my own processing, or the ability to stick the old family photos in a cupboard and not worry about whether my descendants will remember to run weekly incremental backups, but usually it's just someone passing by and I tell them I'm having fun and they say "cool!" and go on with their day.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I was once shooting with my Mamiya C330F and a couple of teenage girls asked me "where you do you put the coal in it ?"

Now, that's actually FUNNY!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin