Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,438   Online: 901

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes I get teased about it on our work photography mailer. I recently uploaded a YouTube video of my Jobo and linked it to the mailer but forgot to make it public. One of the guys that couldn't access it said it was because it was still being converted from VHS. I actually thought that was pretty funny :-D

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by nbagno; 07-26-2013 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    A couple of weeks ago while in London both my partner and I were both changing the film in our cameras when a group of teenagers walked by. One of them commented "wow, real mobi's". It took us a while to figure out he meant mobile phone, seems that camera phones are now the point of reference for photography in teenagers.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am on the late teens and brought my OM-1 along a few times. Some girl classmates commented: "Does it work?" "This was that kind of photos you have to develop?" "Woow"; Another male classmate told me "Oh, a film camera, my dad has a similar one; I thought they didn't make film anymore. I remember it was really expensive".

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    A couple of weeks ago while in London both my partner and I were both changing the film in our cameras when a group of teenagers walked by. One of them commented "wow, real mobi's". It took us a while to figure out he meant mobile phone, seems that camera phones are now the point of reference for photography in teenagers.
    One of my classmates complimented on my micro 4/3 camera (Olympus pen). An overall "professional impression"; For me it is a rather average camera but to the layman it is quite serious; as people tend to use phones for the snaps.
    Now if they knew I am planning to get a Texas leica...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    ... and yet we have lots of people here doing the opposite: lecturing on all the reasons film is SOOOO much better than digital

Loosen up a bit. Both systems have advantages and disadvantages. Choice of a system is a matter of personal choice.
    Film people don't go around and lecture random digital shooters on the street on the virtues of film. Digital people do and some tend to come off as smug if they ever do approach you. That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    As a recently re-converted digital to film user, I encourage you all to go gentle on the digiphotogs. They don't know any better.
    They're generally in the way and overtly smug. So as such, deserving of a verbal smack down, and they'll get one. Additionally they tend to be obsessed with all the quantitative sides of photography in lieu of the actual soul.

Now this doesn't go for everyone as I have a few friends who shoot digital and they're not smug or arrogant about it. But more often than not the average digital shooter, when engaging a film guy, just can't help to make comments. Film people tend to just ignore all digital cameras around them. No comments made.

In general though I've found that quite a few photographers on the street when meeting other photographers tend to be a cagey bunch. There's always that glancing around gear comparison thing going on, which is funny.
    Last edited by clayne; 07-26-2013 at 03:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Film people don't go around and lecture random digital shooters on the street on the virtues of film. Digital people do and some tend to come off as smug if they ever do approach you. That's the difference.
    Oh yeh? Just try mentioning digital capture here and see what happens. LOTS of lecturing! (Smug too.)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My main used to be a blacked out Rebel G - the thing looks so much like a common DSLR it's virtually invisible.

Since I've started shooting with my RF minolta, I've been getting comments like "cool camera!" and "woah, where'd you get that?" If the conversation continues, I usually lose them when I mention the rangefinder... the concept of "focusing" seems very foreign to them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... and yet we have lots of people here doing the opposite: lecturing on all the reasons film is SOOOO much better than digital

Loosen up a bit. Both systems have advantages and disadvantages. Choice of a system is a matter of personal choice.
    I try not to do that. By most objective measures digital actually wins, and I know it. (Ok, ok, an 8x10 chrome drum scanned - no it still doesn't beat that, but in most everyday use, it will.) I just enjoy using film.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeh? Just try mentioning digital capture here and see what happens. LOTS of lecturing! (Smug too.)
    What's that have to do with random photographers shooting on the street? This is a photography forum.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had some disparate reactions. Once when shooting with my Pentax 645n on tripod someone asked me "How many megapixels?" I replied 30 or 40, depending on how its scanned. He then asked to see the LCD and, when I replied that it is a film camera he stalked off, mumbling something like "Smart @#$!#$"

Another time, I'd been shooting at the Atlanta Zoo with my Pentax K10 when the batteries died. Pentax battery meters aren't very helpful. So, I whipped out my Vitessa L and carried on. A couple of women in their mid 30's commented admiringly. Later having some lunch both the waitress and a couple at the adjoining table pronounced the Vitessa as "Awesome camera!" Folks of exquisite taste.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    What's that have to do with random photographers shooting on the street? This is a photography forum.
    Making comparisons is just a fact of life; my Ford is better than your Chevy, etc., etc. There is no point in complaining about human nature. It also seems to me that many of the comments addressed to film shooters expressed in this thread are as a result of shooting MF or LF cameras which would always attract attention; even in the days prior to digital.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin