Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,383   Online: 772

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    The closest I can think of was a few months ago when I was at my local camera shop.

I had recently signed up for a class they offer that was going to cover the use of some new studio continuous lighting technology. The guy who was to teach the class was there as I was showing off my then newly acquired RB67 to one of the other guys. He looked at me and said (somewhat sharply) "You're not bringing that to the class, are you?"

Maybe I should have brought it, just to tweak him.
    Interesting reaction. When I did some lighting classes last year, I was hassled by the facilitator, but with the exact opposite response. He wanted me to get out my SQAi and he really wanted me to start shooting off film. The thing, though, for me was that I was there to learn and I really wanted to use the ability to Chimp. So, unfortunately the camera stayed in the bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't had anyone ask "Can you still get film for that"? I have had quite a few ask "Is it difficult to get film for that?

A fair question, I think. Thankfully, around here, I can say "Not particularly", and then list a few of the options.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far I have remained unscathed, and only attracted curiosity. I get plenty of looks - people probably wondering who is this person carrying around an unusual, small metal camera - but no rude comments.

If someone really started giving me lip, I would ask them "Why do you care?"
    Those who know, shoot film

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Interesting reaction. When I did some lighting classes last year, I was hassled by the facilitator, but with the exact opposite response. He wanted me to get out my SQAi and he really wanted me to start shooting off film. The thing, though, for me was that I was there to learn and I really wanted to use the ability to Chimp. So, unfortunately the camera stayed in the bag.
    He was most likely wanting you *not* to chimp. Chimping is still monkey see monkey do when it comes down to it - just it's the self controlling the monkey. Do something, expect a response/result, repeat until result is arrived.

That isn't really learning, that's pattern recognition.

He probably was trying to get you to think, innately understand the concepts, commit to your understanding of them, and expose the film with those concepts in mind - knowing full well this is a lake of fire approach, but an approach that will get you real learning and understanding.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a few people recognize my RB in public. I even ended up getting a sweet on a Bronica ETRsi setup. The guy saw me shooting my RB67 and came to talk to me. He was doing a shoot at the farm we were visiting, and talked about he was all digital now. He still had his old MF Bronica gear sitting around and offered to sell it to me at a steal since he hadn't touched it in years and wanted someone still into film to actually use it.

I did have an interesting experience while shooting some informal portraits at a neighbors house of their kids. The kids are 3 and 5 and had absolutely no concept of what film even was. It was an interesting conversation to say the least.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    True story about "the kids these days": When I first brought home my RB, my 11 yo daughter said " take my picture".

"There isn't any film in it", I replied.

"Take it anyway", she answered.

So I pointed it at her and fired the shutter.

"Let me see !"

"I said there isn't any film."

"You mean you have to wait until you plug it into the computer!?!?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, not an intentional grief but did have an interesting conversation when I was trying to buy a package of 35mm film at one of my local Walgreens store.

A young cashier whom I asked "where are 35mm films" didn't have any idea what I was talking about. He wondered if I was talking about disposable cameras. He just didn't have any concept of "film" associated with photography.

The manager whom he called was a middle aged lady who took a photography class in high school. Not only did she know exactly what I was talking about, but she had a similar conversation with her daughter when she found a box of film and contact sheet going through attic. We had some fun conversation about how times have changed.

And yes, I walked out with a package of fujifilm and it was really cheap. Yay!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just don't understand how people in their 20s or older don't know about film - or even teens for that matter. Even, say, eight years ago film was more prevalent than digital for anything beyond very casual snapshots, and ten years ago film dominated even for that. A kid of 10 or 12, yes, I understand that digital is probably all they've seen since they were old enough to form the memory and the association, but someone 20 or 25?

I have to conclude kids just don't pay attention to squat anymore. Well, maybe they never did and I was an unusual kid, developing my first film in a blacked out bathroom at age 11 or so, to the bewildered encouragement of my parents.

Shooter
    35mm
    One incident I want to mention isn't criticism. I had the camera, one of my Praktica on a tripod in a park one day, a man and his dog came past. The dog saw me and came over, I stroked the dog as you do. The the man came over.... there was a pause as he stared at my camera. My thoughts were along the lines of.... here we go, criticism for using film. But the man said "please tell me that is a film camera."
    "yes it is" I replied. "well thank f*** for that!" he said. Aparently the man had been stationed in HK for a while and had bought lots of film camera equipment and missed using it. We had a short conversation about where to get film.

Actually this thread has made me think. I wanted to go out with my cameras yesterday but I didn't have enough time to go anywhere to carry on with my photography projects but what I could have done was just goto the park or the pier and just use a few frames. The idea is to be seen using a film camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As an addendum, on the occasion I do get grief it's usually when I'm using my early 80s Sears KS-2 (Ricoh XR-7). If I'm using the 50s Vitessa, folding Contessa 35mm, or Realist 45, people think they are very "cool" and ask questions. When using the Bronica GS-1 they seem to assume I'm a pro (and will continue to so long as I don't show them my work).

I only seem to get negative comments when using a more "pedestrian" camera.
    Truzi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin