Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,548   Online: 1060

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    True story about "the kids these days": When I first brought home my RB, my 11 yo daughter said " take my picture".

"There isn't any film in it", I replied.

"Take it anyway", she answered.

So I pointed it at her and fired the shutter.

"Let me see !"

"I said there isn't any film."

"You mean you have to wait until you plug it into the computer!?!?"
    Great story! My slightly younger son likes to have "his picture taken" even when there is no film in the camera and with no expectations of a computer. Kids can be hilarious at times. I worry that at 10 and 11 they will outgrow that soon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not film, but an employee of a camera store called me a "dinosaur" for purchasing darmroom supplies. I usually buy chemicals and paper online but had an emergency and ran to the local store, which maintains a small supply for students learning darkroom technique (I guess they still exist). He was half-kidding of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of my buddies gives me grief occasionally for being a Luddite; still shooting film, don't have a cell phone, don't watch television, don't have a personal entertainment device... I can usually shut him up briefly by asking how much he's spent on 'useless' electronic gadgets in the last year.

Otherwise people tend to leave me alone when I'm out and wandering around with a folder or TLR.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    He was most likely wanting you *not* to chimp. Chimping is still monkey see monkey do when it comes down to it - just it's the self controlling the monkey. Do something, expect a response/result, repeat until result is arrived.

That isn't really learning, that's pattern recognition.

He probably was trying to get you to think, innately understand the concepts, commit to your understanding of them, and expose the film with those concepts in mind - knowing full well this is a lake of fire approach, but an approach that will get you real learning and understanding.
    No, he wanted me to chimp. He was just feeling nostalgic.

(I'm not going to go into how chimping is a useful tool, especially for instant feedback when learning and experimenting.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a similar experience to this when I was taking a portrait class. The instructor and I agreed, digital is great as a learning tool.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    My 13-year-old son loves slide film. He claims he doesn't like B&W but I've given him some of the B&W prints that I've shot and he likes those (it's usually of his bird or one of the dogs). My 16-year-old daughter shoots mostly Kodak C-41. She likes the look of B&W but I've not yet convinced her to load any into her camera.

I went to a family reunion today and showed some of the older folks my Imperial Debonair camera that takes 620 film (I didn't have any loaded in it, sadly). When they asked if you could still get film for it I said "They don't make 620 any more but 120 is the same size just different spools, so I buy 120 and respool it." They thought that was pretty cool.

I'd love to get a Rolleiflex or a Rolleicord TLR just to see the what looks I might get. Darn budget won't budge!!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Back in 2006, I was at the Northwest Flower & Garden Show. Walked past a booth and the guy manning said booth said to me "Now that's a real camera!". Hanging off one shoulder was my old F2A with MD-1/MB-1 combo, and a 105/2.8 Micro. Off the other shoulder was my Domke F-2 with an FM2n, F3P, and some glass inside.

Usually people tend to leave me alone about shooting film. One of the guys at Glazer's Camera used to try to get under my skin about how he could fit tons of shots on one CF card, but he finally did stop after I posted about it five years ago here. Guess word circulated around enough to get to him.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the "serious" digital crowd are inherently insecure about their photography because they're in a sea of noise. They screw with film people as a symptom of that.

They also can't seem to grasp someone taking control into their own hands and shooting film on solid cameras that do not need constant upgrading.

Joke is on them.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Most of the "serious" digital crowd are inherently insecure about their photography because they're in a sea of noise.
    And usually the noise is ch-ka-ch-ka-ch-ka-ch-ka-ch-ka-ch-ka-ch-ka-ch-ka-ch-ka-ch-ka!

Drives me nuts. Like listening to a bunch of gerbils all eating celery at the same time.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Usually people tend to leave me alone about shooting film. One of the guys at Glazer's Camera used to try to get under my skin about how he could fit tons of shots on one CF card, but he finally did stop after I posted about it five years ago here. Guess word circulated around enough to get to him.
    Gotta wonder about some of those sales guys sometimes. When I lived in Arizona in '85-86, I was trying to decide whether to go for a full new Nikon, Canon, or Pentax system or hang onto my used F2.

I was in a large, maybe the largest, camera store in Phoenix. One salesman kept saying to me and others, "Why would you buy new stuff now? In ten years it's all gonna be digital!" This in '86! I just said to him defensively, "Why should I wait ten years? I can get a lot of use out of a camera in ten years!" After a couple of times of this I figured screw it, why should I give money to someone who doesn't want to sell me what I want? Just bizarre. I mean, if he'd said autofocus, it at least would not have been so off-the-wall.

I ended up buying another F2 in Tucson for $400 and being done with it. Though I did drool over the LX, and now I have one. But I wish I'd never sold those F2's. Both had plain prisms, and were just so nice.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin