Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,901   Online: 1040

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few weeks ago I was on Route 66 form Joplin to OK City. In Stroud, OK I was at the Rock Cafe with the Pentax 645 on the tripod. A couple of ppl asked me if I was a pro or if I worked for the paper. I explained that I am just a hobbyist that likes Route 66. One lady said that's a really nice camera. I told her a little bit about it and said it's probably about 20 years old. She said "20 years....really?...You mean it's not....digital?" But it seems that almost everyone I talk to about cameras think every camera in use today is digital. I brought the 645 to work to show the guys when I got it and the foreman kept asking "But it's digital right?" after every question I answered. A few days later I brought some processed slide film from it and guess what he said-"But it's digital right?" And he's not a young guy. He's 46 years old!
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    ...Smug too.
    APUG too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most go: "Wow. You can still buy film?" Some say: "Nice camera. Is it film?" Some look at me and try not to comment on the old camera. I've only ever gotten messed with for shooting film once. I once asked a long time acquaintance about his travel photography—he uses a 5D III. I told him that I wanted to start shooting film because my digital SLR broke. He tells me, "That's cool…as long as you don't become one of those people who shoots film just to shoot film."

Heh. I bet he thinks I'm a pretentious bastard now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keyofnight View Post
    Most go: "Wow. You can still buy film?"

Yes I've had people say that to me also. They also ask where you can get it developed.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i was jokingly mocked the other day ...mr. tauting trousers; "you still shoot film cameras? !!!"

one "good" (meaning bad) solar flare & all the digital only photographers image archives could be erased forever - a big geomagnetic storm could blank hard drives & data storage discs... last really big solar flare happened i think around 1921 & another in 1989.

1859: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

1989: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_...magnetic_storm

keep shooting film!

best
    alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I just don't understand how people in their 20s or older don't know about film - or even teens for that matter. Even, say, eight years ago film was more prevalent than digital for anything beyond very casual snapshots, and ten years ago film dominated even for that. A kid of 10 or 12, yes, I understand that digital is probably all they've seen since they were old enough to form the memory and the association, but someone 20 or 25?

I have to conclude kids just don't pay attention to squat anymore. Well, maybe they never did and I was an unusual kid, developing my first film in a blacked out bathroom at age 11 or so, to the bewildered encouragement of my parents.

I'm 27 and shoot film!...but I'm definately in the minority. I do have a friend who is a photographer for a living. He shoots a variety of digital and film. Mostly Porta in an RZ67 for wedding portraits.

I guess its kind of hit and miss for my generation. My youngest brother is 23. He pretty much knows about the entire film process. If you start to get any yonger than that however, families probably had film cameras, but the kids were probably too young to understand or know what was going on. By the time they were cognizant of the family camera, it was probably a digital one.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, I had a three-year old toddler the other day argue with his parents when they told him the 8x10 on my tripod was a camera. "No it's not!" Other than that, it's more likely me going to ask someone else what the hell that silly thing is that they have to hold at wobbly arms length in order to get some fuzzy little internet image. I guess engineers in this day and age understand the term miniaturization, but not basic ergonomics. Around here people still know what a camera looks like and respect it, and sometimes even will hold their kids up to look
    thru it, so they can understand what a "real" camera does. They're very polite and wait till after the shot and ask if they can look under the darkcloth. Not so much once inland. If you put up a camera like that on some official scenic turnout in a Natl Park, either some kid would aim a slingshot at it, or someone would accuse you of having a terrorist device. Once into the backcountry, you get respect again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    This usually happens when I'm wearing my Rolleiflex around my neck. When I hear that and I'm in a puckish mood, I respond, "No, I'm actually Flavor Flav's illegitimate half-brother, and this is how I rock my bling".

I actually cracked up laughing at this, definitely going to have to start using this.

FWIW I'm 24 and I've gotten nothing but positive responses from people. Most of the time people strike up conversations about how I'm a "real photographer" (whatever that means haha) or about their experiences with film.

I met this girl at a gallery a few weeks ago and I had brought my Hasselblad with me. She noticed it and we struck up a conversation. She shoots medium format too and we're going out on a date tomorrow :P.

There was one guy who stopped me while I was out shooting. He was a younger guy too and was telling me about how Hasselblads are studio cameras and you "can't use them walking around." I didn't have the heart to tell him I had lugged around my Mamiya RZ67 on a tripod in Tokyo for a couple weeks.

Speaking of, while shooting in Tokyo, an elderly man and his wife emerged from a restaurant. I don't speak a lick of Japanese but the guy said "oohhhh Mamiya!" and gave me a thumb up .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ignore the stupid ones; educate the curious ones.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I took my new Horizon Perfekt and Yashica 124G to a company picnic. Two of the youngest didn't know what Yashica was. One thought it was a music player. The other had no clue. A gal from next cube wanted to shoot with Yashica, so she did. Someone asked, where can you buy film? Is it available from regular store? Someone else asked where can you developed these days. Someone took a photo of my Yashica with her iphone. I took someone with DSLR using my Horizon.

We all had good time.

I'm thinking some of us are just a bit too up-tight and overly protective about our film usage.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin