Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,036   Online: 899

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Anyone ever make fun of you or give you grief for shooting film?

When I told a lady I had film in my cam she gave me a look like I crawled out of a sewer. Some kid did the opposite when he saw my Widelux. He was fascinated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No more than any one has made condecending remarks about my MFA. But the digital crowd is pretty much a never ending comedy...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    not so much film anymore but other stuff ...
    a little old lady gave me grief for offering her my parking spot so she didn't have to leave her car
    in the middle of the travel lane
    she looked at me and screamed " why don't you mind your own f---'n business "
    i still laugh about it cause she seemed like such a nice little old lady ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got some grief for using film while I was at a local art center.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Shoot with a digital camera - if anybody gives you grief, just assure them that there is no film in your camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of the time it seems that folks don't even see me. When they do and say something: 85% say nothing related to photography, 7% ask why I still use an old camera and accept the answer graciously, 3% look quizzically and quickly go about their business, and 2% acknowleges having once used film... but nobody has ever pinched their nose closed with their fingers.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I was once showing my father-in-law my black nickel Leica II and his comment was “if your house ever gets burgled they would leave that.”

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My co-workers are convinced I'm nuts. But out in public, people's attitudes change as the camera gets bigger and weirder. Carrying a 35mm slr, I'm a dinosaur or luddite, hopelessly behind the times. If it's the Zeiss folder, I'm an eccentric curiosity or antique collector. But when the beastly Mamiya tlr is in play, I'm a serious photographer, engaged in serious photography. I can't wait to see what happens when the Cambo 4x5, with all its knobs and levers, finally greets the public.

I am starting to wonder if, with the rise of phone cameras, dslr shooters are starting to get looks.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Closest I've come for shooting film, I got some grief for shooting a construction site at night in singapore, some guy came up and flashed his badge and told me to delete it. Took a few minutes to explain that it wasn't a digital and that I couldn't delete it (pointing at the lack of a screen on the back finally got the point across). So I had to do a long double-exposure to blow-out the photo that i'd taken and he let me go.

(only when I devved I realised I'd long-exposed the frame after, but the shot of the site I took didn't come out anyway so it didn't matter)

Oh yeah, that and when I went on a mate's buck's party (we hired a bus and went to some breweries in the hills). When I pulled out my EOS 3 and Bessa L I got the comment, "that'll be good for taking photos of 1985". I didn't bother explaining that both of those cameras were made after 1998...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I can't wait to see what happens when the Cambo 4x5, with all its knobs and levers, finally greets the public.
    One of two things. You'll either get ask "is that a Hasselblad", or treated like some kind of freak show.

Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin