Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 736

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't ask that question of an Aussie...

It's ridiculous when, even if you wanted to support your local shops, that you need very deep pockets.
    I bought an inkjet printer earlier this year. B+H price $650. Adorama $700. Local australian RRP $1500, if you can even find it (consumer stores don't carry the Pro model I wanted). Even when B+H wanted $500 on top for shipping, I was about to pull the trigger when I saw it on sale at a local shop for $1100 and bought that one.

I buy all my film in bulk via ebay (from a guy in Sydney who buys straight from Japan), he sells a 5-pack of Velvia for about $50, 1.5-3x the price of a single roll in a shop (in the 3 or so shops you can find it within 1000km of here). It sounds bad, but I but a 5-pack for less than twice the $32/roll at Vanbar.com.au.
    But when I do run out there's a local shop who aren't so bad, $14 a roll. He's selling it below what the local Fuji rep sells it to him, he said Fuji wanted $18 a roll wholesale. Needless to say, he also buys it direct from Japan now too.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am blessed to have a local shop (Rockbrook Camera) with a depth of selection/service that is far out of proportion to the size of the city I live in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The idea of supporting the local stores is laughable when there's nothing to support. If any store made a small effort to support analog photography, I might feel differently, but with their minuscule stock, bad attitudes, and premium prices, B&H and other mail order stores get my business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't had a local option since the 1990's. B&H, Freestyle, Amazon, and sometimes Adorama or Canham (for film) have kept me stocked. You just don't wait till you run out of something to buy more.

Even in the '90's I would order Freestyle since I bought things that weren't available locally like 100' spools of film, e6 chemistry, 100 sheet boxes of paper, etc..

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can't find a decent store here either (would love to, though) so conventions and mail order for me (I live in Holland, Europe). I use http://www.macodirect.de and want to try http://www.fomafoto.com/ sometimes shortly.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been mail ordering since the 1990s: film, processing and cameras / lenses, I've never had a local option.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm really lucky that in the small town where I work there is a wonderful little camera store that only does analogue items, they do not cater for digital at all. The owner is an avid photographer himself and is very willing to share all his knowledge whether it be to do with film, processing or darkroom. I buy all my film from him and as many other items as I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy everything on line, I live in a city with a population of 500,000 and I can't even buy a packet of lens cleaning tissues in it.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I want good product it's online for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin