Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,839   Online: 778

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's a 16 hour drive to either Vancouver or Calgary from where I live in a little town on BC's north coast. I've been mail ordering stuff for over 30 years, starting with my Zone VI 4X5 outfit, darkroom gear, film, paper, etc......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here in the Atlanta GA area film and silver process printing paper are virtually unavailable, except for occasional stocks for photo classes. Such film as is available is really expensive, so I buy from Freestyle etc and stock the freezer. A sad situation when a major metro area is such a desert for silver photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been a while like that. Quite a while, sadly

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Had a nice experience yesterday. My new (old) Agfa arrived in the mail. I had had it sent to my office, but I didn't have any film on hand, and didn't want to drive all the way back home to fetch some. So I ran over to Rockbrook Camera, bought a roll of FP4 and even picked up a take up reel (the camera had arrived without one). Showed off the camera a bit, then spent the rest of my lunch hour shooting.

Reading this thread makes me appreciate how fortunate I am.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's always mail order time around here. There are no camera stores where I live. I'd have to drive at least fifty round trip miles to get to a proper camera store and at $3.70 a gallon for gas it's cheaper to pay shipping.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gene's Camera in South Bend, IN carries Kodak Tmax film in 4x5 and sells it at a reasonable price. I buy from them when they have it in stock. They're also willing to order Ilford Hypam fix for me along with their regular darkroom order and I prefer to buy it from them as it's expensive to ship heavy liquids. But the don't carry papers I use (Ilford Warmtone in 11x14,) or 8x10 film or... lots of other stuff, actually. I spend a lot at Freestyle.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dotyj View Post
    at $3.70 a gallon for gas it's cheaper to pay shipping.
    Wow, that works out to only A$1.08/L, most of us here in aus would kill for prices that low (I just filled up for A$1.65/L, US$5.60/gal). And still, I can hear the europeans complaining that we get it so cheap over here...

It's kind of ironic, that US and Canadanadian shipping rates are so low domestically, but ask them to post over here and it's ridiculous (buying anything tiny from B+H is $50 postage, $60 from adorama minimum), but buying from EU the postage is a lot less, a Hermes packet from Germany can be as low as €10-15 for the same weight...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's mail order for film, but that's just because of the price.

As for processing, 35 and 120 can be done locally, but my 4x5 lab is a 45 minute drive.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Got both Kenmore Camera and Glazer's Camera. Glazer's might have an issue soon, since they're planning to move everything to their supply/lighting store, except for their rental department later this year, which means their film cooler may have to go bye-bye. Kenmore does have a decent stock of most mainstream film, but, not much in the way of the esoteric stuff, which Glazer's frequently stocks.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I buy everything on line, I live in a city with a population of 500,000 and I can't even buy a packet of lens cleaning tissues in it.
    Germany still seem film paradise. Well, in a way...

Next to those drug store chains with their offer of films, there are still small photoshops even in small towns that carry film.

My favourite amongst those is a photoshop in a town of 6000 people. Two years ago they got the whole Fuji consumer assortment in all flavours plus Ilford films and even the last packs of SX-70 film.

Meanwhile the assortment has schrunk. But still they got a variety including Provia. All films, including single-use cameras, cold stored!
    And now even Instax! it is the only place around I know where to get Instax.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin