Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,191   Online: 750

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Broken Loaner - what would you do?

So I lent my SRT Super (which was in user condition, but did have the 1.5 battery conversion) with 50/1.7 lens to a family so their daughter could use it for frosh year photography in high school. They returned it over the weekend and it now has the following issues it did not have when I lent it:

Lens wobbles in the mount

Strap lug on one side broken off and gone

Dent on front of camera

Dent on back of camera

ASA/ISO dial no longer turns, so stuck on 400

Replaced battery cover, they lost it and got a new one. It doesn't quite fit

My plan was to have my daughter use it for her photography class this semester, but it isn't really usable now.

They didn't say anything when they gave it to me, but bought my wife and I dinner as a "thank you" they said.

What would you do?
    flickr.com/danfogel
    Leica M2, Olympus 35RC, Olympus 35EC, Olympus Trip 35

Shooter
    Large Format
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be. There's not much you can do. I believe I'd give it back to them to keep, so at least they can have mud on their face. People like that are just plain missing something in their character. Tell them you'd have brought it to them sooner, but had been sick with food poisoning from the dinner they took you to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like the camera suffered some impact, likely dropped to some hard surface. Sounds like those damages should be readily apparent when someone handled it.

If the daughter (the person used the camera) returned it to you and her parents never touched it - thus not know she damaged the camera, then this could be a teaching moment. I would have a gentle conversation with the parent. IF the parents handled the camera to return to you, then all is lost. There's nothing you can do.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is rather saddening.

Assuming for the moment that the parents didn't know about the damage (probably a safe assumption???), this seems like a reflection of the disposable culture the young girl has experienced her entire life. What 14 yo today is accustomed to treasuring a precision object with the expectation that her kids/grandkids will also use/treasure it? Even the most valuable item in her life (iPhone?) is understood to be disposable.

Nothing lasts.

Why should she care?

Sad.

Anyway, what to do? Its a $100 camera. They bought you dinner. Hard to say if that was a "Thanks for letting Suzy-Q borrow the camera" or a "Sorry Suzy-Q busted up your camera" dinner. In any case, I guess I'd talk to one of the parents about it and make sure they understand what happened. I know if it were one of my daughters, I'd want to know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is their friendship worth more than the camera?

My father had a policy of never lending someone something. Either give it to them, which if they felt inclined they could give it back, or don't lend at all. This went for money as well as objects. He felt the friendship or family connection was far more important than some things, other things he just didn't lend out.

I wouldn't push the issue too much, there's not much that can be done if they don't feel remorse for what happened.
    "Fun? Ah yes, the employment of time in a profitless and non-practical way."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be curious as to what happened and ask about it. Not in a "you broke it you pay for it" way but more out of curiosity. From your description it sounds as if it has been bouncing down the stairs. It is hard to miss a thing like this. Who knew but didn't tell?
    It would be stupid if you felt angry with the parents if they know nothing of the incident and it might be a good thing to let the daughter know that it is not ok to break something and just walk away from it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Write it off as a learning experience. Never "lend" anything you can't replace yourself. No friendship is worth material goods.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Write it off as a learning experience. Never "lend" anything you can't replace yourself. No friendship is worth material goods.
    ditto. (Been there, done that... with camreas and other stuff too!)

Shooter
    35mm
    Just reading these replies makes me feel better. I have had most of the thoughts I have read here.

The parents are really good friends of ours. I don't want to mess that up for my spare SLR.

They had to know. How could they not know?

I would love to know what happened, but rolling down the stairs would be consistent with the bruising.

I hadn't thought about the disposable nature of things for kids that age, but that makes sense. I routinely shoot cameras from the 50's, 60's and 70's that I baby. I would think an item of such heft and substance would inspire a teen. I am living in a dream world.
    flickr.com/danfogel
    Leica M2, Olympus 35RC, Olympus 35EC, Olympus Trip 35

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Moved to "Ethics and Philosophy." The "Feedback and Suggestions" forum is for feedback about how APUG works.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin