Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,373   Online: 727

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    That's the point. It's just a matter of aesthetic preferences - in other words, taste. Perhaps you think his photographs "imply more than they explain and leave the viewer wondering". That's fine. I, however, do not think that. For that reason I could not care less if he thinks people use wide angle lenses because they don't have enough to say. It's nothing more than his opinion, and so in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the photograph presented at the beginning of the thread. I don't think the short focal length makes or breaks it.
    Well, no kidding. That doesn't make it baloney.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bologna, maybe? Just kidding. Every photographer has to use what they feel is right for the job. If you don't like it - tough.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Bologna, maybe? Just kidding. Every photographer has to use what they feel is right for the job. If you don't like it - tough.
    Tough yes, baloney no.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    That's the point. It's just a matter of aesthetic preferences - in other words, taste. Perhaps you think his photographs "imply more than they explain and leave the viewer wondering". That's fine. I, however, do not think that. For that reason I could not care less if he thinks people use wide angle lenses because they don't have enough to say. It's nothing more than his opinion, and so in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the photograph presented at the beginning of the thread. I don't think the short focal length makes or breaks it.
    I completely support your right to make judgements without any need to back them up. It's the internet after all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    I completely support your right to make judgements without any need to back them up. It's the internet after all.
    People can do what they want, sure. But just calling something baloney without saying anything else is just taking a potshot.
    If someone is going to make such a strong assertion, especially regarding an individual who is so well known and widely respected, they ought to say why they feel that way. Then the rest of us can consider a statement that is useful and possibly illuminating. Otherwise, really nothing is added.
    So I said "Back it up." I could have said "Please explain", but given the tone of the statement I wasn't inclined to be that polite. I don't care if somebody says HCB's words are baloney or BS or whatever. But I think it's poor form to condemn the words of any influential photographer without some elucidation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    People can do what they want, sure. But just calling something baloney without saying anything else is just taking a potshot.
    I was being ironic. Michael R 1974 appears to believe one photograph is pretty much like the nest, and it's all "a matter of opinion". However we're talking under a board entitled Ethics and Philosophy, so it would be good to hear a modicum of one, the other, or both. Saying it's all a matter of taste gets us nowhere.

I proposed a mildly provocative argument that the OP's link illustrates how mediocre unthinking use of wide angle lenses can be. People are free to disagree, in fact I'd welcome a lucid and intelligent discussion from advocates of super-wide lenses, but until such a discussion occurs, I'm sticking to my position that the vast majority of very wide angle shots are lousy. Lousy and lazy in fact. I won't go as far as to say every wide shot because there are exceptions. A favourite Flickr photographer uses a 21mm lens, something I only realised looking at the tabs. I assumed she shot on a 35mm because nothing in her imagery relies on the fact it was taken on a very wide angle lens, which is the best accolade I can give a user. However she's a rarity, most photographer's 21 mm shots are about little other than lens characteristics.

Neither was I proposing HCB as an exemplar, he's just a name most people can relate to without a heap of links. I can take literal images, they show what the public needs to see, but there's a special area of hell reserved for literal photographs whose sole claim to the viewer's attention is distorted perspective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't seen anyone else in this thread "back up" their arguments with anything other than personal preferences. Sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't seen anyone else in this thread "back up" their arguments with anything other than personal preferences. Sorry.
    Well, that's a lot better than just saying "Baloney".

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, provide an objective formula for discussing photographic imagery. Taken to its (il)logical conclusion, your position is every photograph is the same as another, so long as, presumably, it's exposed correctly? That would put all professional photographers and galleries out of business, as well as a few curators, educators an picture editors. You may view this as A Jolly Good Thing, perhaps you'll enlighten us? Even better, show us a great 21mm or wider shot that doesn't rely on bending stuff for novelty value.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was being ironic.
    Duhhh, I should have gotten that from your last sentence.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin