Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,122   Online: 1088

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Example of what I'm talking about:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, so take the photograph and crop the margins. If you don't care the persons in the corners look like cut out of cardbord they can't add too much to your composition, not more than a white border.
    Last edited by Eugen Mezei; 08-07-2013 at 01:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that wide angle lenses are useful when either the visual impact it lends is desired, or when a situation forces its use.

Trends come and go.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @tron: It was one image I saw today and it shows what I consider disturbing about extreme wide angles. It may be a poor example for the reason Vaughn mentioned, we were not there. (Although I'm shure it was not the only photograph the reporter took. It cost nothing to play with the zoom, if you can't move some steps further or nearer. And also scissors still exist, even in PS.) But I think my example illustrates very well that the persons gett egg heads and look like cut out of cardboard.
    Regarding the example of the car I have exactly the same problem. It just don't show the object as my eyes see it. Ofcourse this is not a point, effects can be welcome, but than I want to see the reason they are used. You say it is cool, can agree with you (at least when I see it once or twice, it becomes boring after the 20th photograph), problem is it is used even i product photogrpahy. I don't want to buy a car cut out of cardboard and with egg shaped wheels.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can see that zooms have their place and that wide angle shots may be in vogue. I can also appreciate that if you are a photojournalist and your bread and butter depends on it, you may want to use a wide angle lens all the time. Also certain focal lengths lend themselves to the technique in hand such as portraiture, macro etc. That said, I prefer a 50mm on a 35mm camera for most general shots. Changing focal lengths is often an added complication which does not lend itself to simplicity of means and practice.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Mezei View Post
    @tron: It was one image I saw today and it shows what I consider disturbing about extreme wide angles. It may be a poor example for the reason Vaughn mentioned, we were not there. (Although I'm shure it was not the only photograph the reporter took. It cost nothing to play with the zoom, if you can't move some steps further or nearer. And also scissors still exist, even in PS.) But I think my example illustrates very well that the persons gett egg heads and look like cut out of cardboard.
    Regarding the example of the car I have exactly the same problem. It just don't show the object as my eyes see it. Ofcourse this is not a point, effects can be welcome, but than I want to see the reason they are used. You say it is cool, can agree with you (at least when I see it once or twice, it becomes boring after the 20th photograph), problem is it is used even i product photogrpahy. I don't want to buy a car cut out of cardboard and with egg shaped wheels.
    You may have misunderstood my post, I said it was "cool" as in many people think it looks cool. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people that thinks it looks good and I agree it looks kind of weird haha. I definitely agree that wide angles have gotten more popular.

Imo it's just a trend and I think it's going to fade away like the numerous photographic trends that have come before this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A whole thread serving only to complain about the "excessive" use of a class of focal length by other photographers?

Doesn't it just take up valuable time that could be spent taking some photographs with a lens of focal length that you do like ... ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    A whole thread serving only to complain about the "excessive" use of a class of focal length by other photographers?

Doesn't it just take up valuable time that could be spent taking some photographs with a lens of focal length that you do like ... ?
    Well, this is a photography website, and this is its "Ethics and Philosophy" forum. As was said earlier, to each their own...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post

Some of us are posting from work

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I do think these are excellent points...

On another note, I first started seeing this pervasive use of ultra wides in early 1990s skateboard photography...
    I think some of the use of ultra-wides for skateboard photography came from a need/desire to position the camera in such a way as to capture the skateboarder in motion, from a particular angle. It obviated the need to compose/focus while the skateboarder was riding right at the camera at speed, and it conveyed a sense of dramatic motion. Throw a 14mm fisheye on a camera and you can put it down on the edge of a skate ramp and trigger it remotely as the skaters pass it and do tricks over it and they'll still be in the frame. Not so easy to do with a 35mm. I think it evolved from a somewhat practical response to a need into a "style", kinda like wearing your jeans halfway down off your ass to show off your boxer shorts (convicts in maximum security facilities were issued one-size-fits-all pants and no belts, therefore the pants would droop. Their children on the outside, and their kids' friends, would take it up and emulate it for the very worst of possible reasons).

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin