Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,716   Online: 978

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    Some of us are posting from work
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exactly, Scott. At first it was mostly action shots and then the skaters' portraits and eventually just about everything skateboard related was shot with an ulta wide. I knew kids back then with F4s or F5s and only one or two lenses, both being wide of course. So it was also out of necessity, those lenses were pricey back then!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wide angle lenses don't distort. They just require the viewer to view the photo from up close in order to normalize the perspective.

And a desire to draw the viewer closer is often the point.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Which is often not possible due to image size...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Wide angle lenses don't distort. They just require the viewer to view the photo from up close in order to normalize the perspective.

In theory the don't distort perspective, but there are also often pronounced geometric distortions (barrel, for example) which shouldn't technically be there in a fully corrected lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

True, but try and view a fisheye contact print from the correct distance. Not possible.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm afraid it is not a trend, it is pure not caring from the side of the photographers and getting used on the side of the viewers.
    Another photograph:
    http://adevarul.ro/assets/adevarul.r...8d15/978x0.jpg
    Not the same problem, but it illustrates how we got used by unnatural distorsion.
    Both photographs are the product of this weeks news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The ultra-wide aesthetic has its place, just as the meniscus lens aesthetic has its place. While it certainly has become more common as the price of wide-angle zooms has dropped just as the bottom end of the focal length, what bothers me more than the increased use in photojournalism is the prevalent use of inexpensive lenses with uncorrected distortion. There are also ways to shoot with such lenses that do not make the focal length the subject. Anyone can rationalize the use of a zoom in place of fixed focal length lens (don't even get me started on the late trend of incorrectly using the term "prime" lens as a synonym for fixed focal length, an entirely different thread) but I don't think a person making their living shooting can rationalize the purchase of an inferior lens. While a photojournalist wouldn't use a 38mm Biogon (I think that's the lens that is permanently attached to the SWC/M), there are plenty of high quality ultra-wides in every brand that can be carried without much additional weight. If the distortion is the issue, I'm in total agreement. If the focal length is the issue, I'm neutral.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago when photographing celebrities and happenings I often had to jostle for space among other people with cameras. That was until I got a Spiratone Ultrawide 18mm lens. Now I could push my way forward, stand in front of the competition, block their view, and still get everything in! Failing that I could hold the camera at arm's length, point it the general direction of the action, and be pretty well assured of getting the shot.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Years ago when photographing celebrities and happenings I often had to jostle for space among other people with cameras. That was until I got a Spiratone Ultrawide 18mm lens. Now I could push my way forward, stand in front of the competition, block their view, and still get everything in! Failing that I could hold the camera at arm's length, point it the general direction of the action, and be pretty well assured of getting the shot.
    But how did you feel about your own integrity with this sort of photography?
    Last edited by cliveh; 08-07-2013 at 05:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin