Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,325   Online: 951

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If the viewer of a photograph notices the type of lens used or that a strong filter has been used or that an image has been significantly manipulated (analogue or digital) then the image is ultimately a failure because the viewer's awareness of these factors detracts from the image and what you want to convey.

The use of wide-angle lenses has been common since the early 1960s and there have been many fine images produced. Perhaps the key point today is that ultra wide-angle lenses enable the photographer to stand in front of the 'pack' and both get a more intimate image and block the view of one's competitors. When money is to be earned, this rather than aesthetics becomes the prevailing modus operandi and is why so many press/photojournalists employ ultra wide-angle lenses.

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    But how did you feel about your own integrity with this sort of photography?
    What a pompous comment.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    What a pompous comment.
    Perhaps integrity is not important to you.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some good nonsense in this thread. Keep it coming!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The photograph was shot with an ultra-wide angle, non-rectilinear lens. By the look of it, it is poorly corrected for distortion at even moderate off-axis alignment. However, the photograph is somewhat documentary/reportage/on-the-spot and the quality of the image (or the lens!) is not the first consideration, rather being there and capturing the moment with what is available. In that sense, the photograph works and does not require or elicit criticism.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the photo editor at the paper i just retired from complained that new photographers were just shooting with wide-angle lenses in RAW and cropping their images out later ... drove him nuts.

Having said that, sometimes you need wide angle -- the shot the OP posted is one, I think -- just the car in a hole itself doesn't do much for me, the crowd makes it, it's a tight space, you use the lens that takes it all in.

There's also the advice I've give folks in the past -- if the situation sucks go for optical distortion. What the heck, right?

Shooter
    35mm
    i bought two wide angles in the past four weeks--am i qualified to post some nonsense?

so--

i bought them 'cause the stuff i wanted in my pics would not fit in otherwise, simple as that. taking two steps back is only an option when you're looking at the pics later; when you're engaging your subject, no time to tango... hey, listen, what's that? do you hear? the good folks of this town are gathering for another demo... hand me my twenty!

Shooter
    35mm
    If I were the photographer I would have mentioned to the folks there that some of them were placing hundreds of kilos of weight on 15cm of bad road surface that had nothing underneath it. And, you know, maybe they should move. But, the picture is important too, right? It's how you eat.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    i bought two wide angles in the past four weeks--am i qualified to post some nonsense?

so--

i bought them 'cause the stuff i wanted in my pics would not fit in otherwise, simple as that. taking two steps back is only an option when you're looking at the pics later; when you're engaging your subject, no time to tango... hey, listen, what's that? do you hear? the good folks of this town are gathering for another demo... hand me my twenty!

Only a 20? Go for 15, 16 or 17mm. They are wide...
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I much prefer prime lenses because they allow me to decide what I want.

If I could change the way Zoom lenses were engineered, I would wish for them to "open" or "rest" at either a normal or preferred focal length and then have detents, like f/stops have, for certain standards.

It seems universal that zooms start out at the widest setting, so that's what you get "most" of the time.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin