Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,459   Online: 905

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    ...I'm saying that generally, not that the picture originally posted is particularly misleading. Everyone knows that people don't tilt like they do in the picture, so it's clear that the lens used did not make the scene look as it would to a person standing there. Still, I think it would have been improved by cropping on both the left and right sides to remove much of the distorted look.
    I think the photo is quite effective. It is as much about the people standing around the vehicle as it is about the holed vehicle...and about the place...the surrounding buildings, etc.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I think the photo is quite effective. It is as much about the people standing around the vehicle as it is about the holed vehicle...and about the place...the surrounding buildings, etc.
    I agree, I thought for its purpose, the image was quote effective and couldn't have been taken any other way. Then again, I grew up in the "zoom lens" era

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Perhaps integrity is not important to you.
    Integrity is important to me. Precisely why I don't make pompous, ignorant, condescending judgements of people of which I know basically nothing. Your opinion of whether anyone lacks integrity has as much value as a glob of snot on a sidewalk. Oops, guess I just lost my integrity as I have stooped to your level.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I agree, I thought for its purpose, the image was quote effective and couldn't have been taken any other way. Then again, I grew up in the "zoom lens" era

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    The BBC has a photo of just the vehicle in the hole...boring and not very descriptive.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is the advent of the ultrawide zooms that I would blame...the use of 'excessively wide angle', not the 'excessive use of wide angle'

After complaining that 17mm shift lens (rather than using 24mm shift lens) exaggerates the sense of spaciousness in an interior real estate shot, folks shot me down saying the real estate agents WANTED the exaggerated sense of space to lure in buyers. I commented back that luring in folks only to immediately disappoint them as soon as they walk in is bad business...it wastes their time, it angers them, and once they see a certain realtors name over and over associated with those overly spacious photos, they start to ignore their ads.
    Last edited by wiltw; 08-08-2013 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    One of the things that constantly annoys me about National Geographic magazine is their addiction to a photojournalistic use of wide angle lenses, with everything off-center being horribly distorted. But I guess it comes with the territory - they are basically journalistic, and seem
    like a fish out of water every time they try to get artsy. I blame the editors more than the photographers themselves. In both writing and visual content they have a stuck in the mud procedural mentality. But worth the subscription money anyway. About the only overdone wide-angle shot I have around that I like is when my wife took a cellphone closeup of our pet tree squirrel - that little BB lens really made his cute nose look really really big and round. Of course, whenever she took a picture of me with than damn phone I ended up looking like a puffy-faced big-nosed rodent too!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    One of the things that constantly annoys me about National Geographic magazine is their addiction to a photojournalistic use of wide angle lenses, with everything off-center being horribly distorted. But I guess it comes with the territory - they are basically journalistic, and seem
    like a fish out of water every time they try to get artsy. I blame the editors more than the photographers themselves. In both writing and visual content they have a stuck in the mud procedural mentality. But worth the subscription money anyway. About the only overdone wide-angle shot I have around that I like is when my wife took a cellphone closeup of our pet tree squirrel - that little BB lens really made his cute nose look really really big and round. Of course, whenever she took a picture of me with than damn phone I ended up looking like a puffy-faced big-nosed rodent too!
    Are you sure that isn't what you look like to others? hehe
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love wide angles. If it's not good enough you're not close enough...
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Love wide angles. If it's not good enough you're not close enough...
    My view exactly.

Get close. Then get a little closer. And then closer still. When you think you have pushed it too far, get even closer then take the shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who is this guy, a self appointed wide angle policeman ?, wide angles as every reportage photographer knows are about "getting them where they live", and having an involvement in the situation.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin