Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,475   Online: 1107

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Who is this guy, a self appointed wide angle policeman ?, wide angles as every reportage photographer knows are about "getting them where they live", and having an involvement in the situation.
    No... just someone with an opinion offering it up for discussion (on a photography forum!). I seem to remember you "policing" another thread not to long ago...

Back to the original idea...

It has been interesting to read the various thoughts on this. While I still tend to agree with the OP I certainly have thought more about the situations and limitations so many photographers face and some of the reason they choose to use the ultra wides.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    Get close. Then get a little closer. And then closer still. When you think you have pushed it too far, get even closer then take the shot.
    I have a 16mm fisheye with a dented lens hood from following this advice when shooting skateboarding!
    Steve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I have a 16mm fisheye with a dented lens hood from following this advice when shooting skateboarding!
    NOT THAT CLOSE!

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In lens advertising circa 1919, (Page 12) last sentence . . . http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...schlomb_5.html

I'm not bothered by images created using wide-angle lenses. I'm so accustomed to seeing bad photography, I'm nearly blind to it. Just like trash along the highway. There's so much of it these days. Distorted images are by choice. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.
    Last edited by DannL; 08-09-2013 at 11:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    not a massive fan of overuse of any focal length - but intelligent use of wides can evoke empathy when used when used in reportage, perhaps

we added an 8-15mm fish-eye zoom lens to the arsenal sometime ago, it's the least used of our lenses - but masses of fun when brought out to play & often hilariously difficult to keep feet or tripod legs out of the frame

best
    alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd support CCW (concealed carry wideangle) because wide angle lenses don't take bad photographs, people take bad photographs.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The greatest thing about wide angles is that in order to get good photographs they require the photographer to immerse themselves within the scene they're photographing. This results in a strong feeling of shared space with the subjects and for journalism/documentary work this is a good thing!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    The greatest thing about wide angles is that in order to get good photographs they require the photographer to immerse themselves within the scene they're photographing. This results in a strong feeling of shared space with the subjects and for journalism/documentary work this is a good thing!
    I disagree, as the wide angle user may need to get physically closer, but that does not mean they are closer in an emotional sense.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I disagree, as the wide angle user may need to get physically closer, but that does not mean they are closer in an emotional sense.
    As a person who shoots a lot of wides trust me this makes a difference. If the subjects aren't comfortable it will show in ANY photograph regardless of focal length. When they are comfortable and actively sharing their space with you then a wide angle sings.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A guy like Eugene Richards shows us how to get close with a wide while also not going so wide as to provide unpleasant distortion.

I don't think the examples shown in the preceding posts are particularly abusive, but I see much worse "excessive-wide-angle-syndrome" often... photographers who disrespect subjects by giving them gumby-heads, or photograph architecture- inside and out- with superwides and don't consider the keystoning and barrel distortion to be a negative effect. They seem to show a lack of understanding of their tools - it's not a creative decision to go with the distortion, it's a lazy understanding of their own work, what they hold in their hands and where they put their feet.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin