Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,711   Online: 913

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live in Victoria's second largest city with a large number of real and wannabe photographers that I really never (but read about in the media, for whatever trivial reason they see themselves worthy of attention) see because they are wholely digital and are inescapably hooked on the mentality of shooting anything and everything pointlessly. I'm frowned upon for sticking to and speaking up for film (even though I do use digital also) in a city with only one camera store that ceased to stock film or any film cameras three years ago. Fast track 75km away to Melbourne, and there are thousands and thousands of real photographers that are generally seen any day of the week, with any sort of camera and especially, making a beeline into a store that still dedicates a lot of its stock acquisition to analogue and its pleasures, additional to the technicolour trojan of digital, paraded in jewel-like, halogen-flooded glass cages. After a day in Melbourne seeing so many people with so many cameras, I really treasure being the odd-one-out: coming home, going about each day and not seeing another person with a camera all week! I kind of like it that way. I was brought up in a vacuum and that's best for nurturing creativity.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I rarely see anyone else with a camera of any kind, here in the Missouri boot heel. Plenty of people with cell phones though. :frown:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    I rarely see anyone else with a camera of any kind, here in the Missouri boot heel. Plenty of people with cell phones though. :frown:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Our general area really needs some sort of photography gathering. You really aren't that far from where I am.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    This is sadly true. I live in Arkansas. The southern US is a photographic vacuum.

A photographer I know used to market himself with a slogan about "seeing the familiar through fresh eyes" or some such thing, I wonder if a dose of that could apply in this case. I have lived within a 40 mile radius of Philadelphia in the northeast all my life and some of my last years of working were spent doing control system replacements in a few southern paper mills. There are impressive architectural examples in many old southern cities and I recall being fascinated by cypress swamps and bayous outside of Shreveport in Louisiana during a stay there, things that were completely new in my experience. I think sometimes our vision no longer actually registers the stuff we see on a daily basis; maybe it's necessary to pretend we just dropped in from another planet occasionally!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is sadly true. I live in Arkansas. The southern US is a photographic vacuum.
    Then I pity you for having no imagination and no vision.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems there is some confusion about the OP's question. Are there other people doing film photography where you live? I don't think he's asking whether you find your location photogenic. I, like some others from the south, find that the lack of people doing film photography sucks. (thus a vacuum) There are lots of things and places close by to photograph, around my property, or in another town. I don't need other people to feel complete in my photography, but obviously we are on a social site right now talking about photography so we must feel some need to talk with others about our hobby. I miss the discussions I used to have with friends about photo related stuff, and of course I miss the discourse found in camera shops. There simply seems to be no one near to do this with now. So it's mostly online socializing that fills my needs in this way. We're all just trying to enjoy what we do the best we can. No?
    Last edited by agnosticnikon; 08-07-2013 at 08:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wasn't talking about how photographic the area is. I was talking about a lack of true interest in photography in my area. I enjoy meeting other people with a deep interest in photography. I have trouble finding any.
    Last edited by Darkroom317; 08-07-2013 at 09:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I think sometimes our vision no longer actually registers the stuff we see on a daily basis; maybe it's necessary to pretend we just dropped in from another planet occasionally!
    Or see again with the eyes of a child...

How often have you seen a child simply staring in wonderment at something completely mundane. At least to you. But for that child the scene is full of new and amazing colors and textures and forms. To you it might be just another tree. But to the child it's a TREE!

I think it's at least partially a case of preconceptions. Have you taken a walk with a camera, only to return with little or nothing to show for it? Perhaps that is because you subconsciously already "knew" what picture you thought you wanted to make. And you already "knew" how the things you observed on your walk would look when photographed. If you didn't see a match in advance, you skipped it and kept walking. Or tried to force a square peg into a round hole.

Children see everything around them with a deeply-felt original astonishment. Sometimes I think the adults need to try to regress back to that a little bit, instead of drifting further away from it as the years roll by. It might make a difference in your photography. It would definitely make a difference in your life.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't talking about photographic the area is. I was talking about a lack of true interest in photography in my area. I enjoy meeting other people with a deep interest in photography. I have trouble finding any.
    YES EXACTLY!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i live in Ogden, utah. There are many good locals shooting away, scenic and commercial, there are several shooting in ULF like robert hall and michael slade, who I believe are also on apug. Many talented locals shooting in medium format in salt lake and ogden as well. The annual statewide competition at the Eccles Community Art Center in Ogden attracts an amazing collection of amateur and professional photographers in all media....

Film? I just took two rolls of Holga-shot color film to the local store that recently set up a lab and was told it would be a week, they're seriously backlogged with film work.

there's also a lot of digital shooters, of course. Every Tom Dick and Marcia with a DSLR has set up as a "professional" shooting weddings and so forth. There are brick walls around town that sometimes have couples lined up to get shot in front of them. The local store where i took my film today actually makes most of its money servicing those shooters -- renting lighting equipment, supplying tech support and image production.
    Last edited by summicron1; 08-07-2013 at 09:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin