Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,242   Online: 874

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I live in the hills that turn into mountainous western Maryland. I was riding my motorcycle thinking there's nothing to shoot around here. At that very moment a Coopers Hawk flew across the road at maybe 10-15 feet high with a very large rodent in his claws. Well I guess I was told to open my eyes and see what's going on around me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wasn't sure what the OP meant. That's why I left my answer as a feasible response to either possibility.
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya, the earlier question seemed a bit ambiguous, and I probably interpreted it as more related to subject material; probably because I tend to view my photography as a personal solo effort and don't much think about 'partners' or 'help'. At any rate, some geographic areas are extremely low in population density -- think mile square wheat fields for example. So unless they have some famous tourist attractions, one might not expect to see any amount of activity. That said, in towns or villages I'd think there could still be some little clubs, art leagues or similar organizations, as well as camera shops that might lead to finding some active shooters if one is inclined that way. (Facebook, he says with a wince?!!)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's what I was thinking myself. I haven't really made a group effort of shooting until just recently. As for analog photography, it seems like only a few people around here are really into it. maderik (a member here, who referred me to APUG in the first place), and myself come to mind. An employee of a camera store around here was given a Voigtlander SLR in pristine condition and he seemed pretty psyched to shoot with that, so maybe him. Other than that, I know a few collectors. That's it.
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I live on the north coast of British Columbia, Canada. In almost 30 years of photographing I've never met another large format photographer while photographing. Then again, I hardly ever meet anybody at all while hiking in this sparsely populated area. Lucky me!

There's one other LF guy in town, but he's as fiercely individualistic as I am.
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 08-08-2013 at 01:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even with lots of photographers around and a lot photo academies around within 1h driving I still am rarely engaged in disussions with other photographers.
    And I don't see me to blame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in Memphis, Tennessee, a mid-Southern city in the US with a population of about 750,000 and an area population of a million. Most of the affluent have moved to the suburbs, and the economic downturn has not been particularly kind to the working class in the city who have tried to make homes for themselves.
    At first I had trouble finding things in my area that I thought photogenic, apart from downtown buildings and touristy areas, but lately I've been inspired to document the decline here and the abandoned, foreclosed homes.
    There is a website devoted to local photographers, but most of them are suburban and shoot with DSLRs. A few dabble in film occasionally, using it as an artistic backup to their digital images, and I seem to be just about the only one using film as a primary means of photography. I'd really love to meet others in the area who use film, especially large format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great replies so far in this thread, never disappointed with the quality of discussion on APUG. Thanks everyone for who posted in this thread.

Just to clear things up a little more, originally I was wondering moreso if you are in a city that has a high concentration of photographers. I know the title might be a little misleading, sorry for that haha.

One post that really stuck out to me (forgive me, I forgot the posters name) was the one about how they assumed I was asking about if they live in a "photogenic" city because they feel photography is more of a solo endeavor. That makes sense and I am beginning to think that is why I haven't met many photographers shooting.

A part of it might have to do with me being on the younger side (24). I've only been shooting film seriously for about 2.5 years now. I think part of being a young photographer is wanting to be around people who feel similarly and use a similar artistic medium as you. Mostly because (in my opinion) this interaction helps you learn and develop a personal style.

I am going to go assume that as you get older as a photographer, you get closer to achieving that personal style and interaction with other photographers isn't so important?

Perhaps I feel like this because I also did not go to art school so I never had the chance to meet peers with similar interests.

Again, thanks for all the replies!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The area I live in is quite picturesque - but it's an island only twenty six miles wide so you have to be inventive to get a new look at places you have been to many times.

And on the subject of music, this little island probably has more live music going on (adjusted for population) than most of the rest of England.

Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    One post that really stuck out to me (forgive me, I forgot the posters name) was the one about how they assumed I was asking about if they live in a "photogenic" city
    That's what I thought you meant too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As far as I can tell, you're not allowed to visit or live in Santa Fe without a camera.
    K.S. Klain

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin