Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,372   Online: 777

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I live on the north coast of British Columbia, Canada. In almost 30 years of photographing I've never met another large format photographer while photographing. Then again, I hardly ever meet anybody at all while hiking in this sparsely populated area. Lucky me!

There's one other LF guy in town, but he's as fiercely individualistic as I am.
    Yes, them LF guys are on their own wavelength!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    Great replies so far in this thread, never disappointed with the quality of discussion on APUG. Thanks everyone for who posted in this thread.

Just to clear things up a little more, originally I was wondering moreso if you are in a city that has a high concentration of photographers. I know the title might be a little misleading, sorry for that haha.

One post that really stuck out to me (forgive me, I forgot the posters name) was the one about how they assumed I was asking about if they live in a "photogenic" city because they feel photography is more of a solo endeavor. That makes sense and I am beginning to think that is why I haven't met many photographers shooting.

A part of it might have to do with me being on the younger side (24). I've only been shooting film seriously for about 2.5 years now. I think part of being a young photographer is wanting to be around people who feel similarly and use a similar artistic medium as you. Mostly because (in my opinion) this interaction helps you learn and develop a personal style.

I am going to go assume that as you get older as a photographer, you get closer to achieving that personal style and interaction with other photographers isn't so important?

Perhaps I feel like this because I also did not go to art school so I never had the chance to meet peers with similar interests.

Again, thanks for all the replies!

You like meeting photogs, start a photo club.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I have been around a lot at the art scene, art academies. My impression is that photographers do not tend to talk about photography (outside any academic setting, and at least not with me...)

Just met two photographers at an photo-exhibition and and art lecture resp. I had long talks talks with them on business matters. That was very outstanding.
    To me it thus would not make sense to move to a larger city to get opportunity for more talks.
    I wouldn't move to talk. But i'd drive to another city to shoot. That is why we got all these forums. We can talk as much as we like. if we want to see photogs in action go to youtube or buy a DVD.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I know a number of Detroitians who are serious film photographers, and there are thousands of photos of the urban decay there being taken every day and showing up online. As much fun as it is to travel for photography, it's a self-imposed blindness to what can be photographed in our own backyards that makes people feel the need to move, or even just vacation, to find "photogenic" subject matter. I'm lucky in a sense that I live in a target-rich environment in a rapidly evolving neighborhood here in Washington DC, so if nothing else I have lots of change I can document. But if nature and landscape are more your thing, there are tons of places to go within a 2-hour driving radius of the city. If people are your thing, there's people everywhere. About the only subject matter I can't photograph around DC is underwater - the Potomac River is too muddy most of the time, and too cold half the year to swim in. But if I want to shoot ON the water, there's the Potomac, and not too far away, the Chesapeake Bay. So the only restriction I face is self-imposed.

DC should be a dream city for shooting people. Lots of action for street shooters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Riehl View Post
    The photographic community in my area is pretty strong. We have a camera club with over 300 people in it, and somehow they all manage to get good photos, but I think they usually travel for the best photos. In the area I live specifically, it's pretty visually dry. I'm always having trouble finding anything to photograph. Hence why I stick to portraiture for the most part.

Your lucky to have a club. Do you go to the meetings regulary? What are the meetings like? Do you get anything out of them or is it more for social reasons?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I live in a far suburb of Denver and while my immediate surroundings are not photographic heaven, Colorado most certainly is. For photography, Denver itself has lots of cool festivals, great architecture, wealth, and a very seamy underside. Coming from Detroit, you would love the winters. Head up to the mountains and the nature photography possibilities are endless. I don't see many people shooting film, but talk to a lot of people who used to. The guys at the shops where I get my film say they have had pretty big increases in business in the last year or 2.

seamy underside?

Where are the pix??

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    There's a large number of folks that do the beach scenes and Balboa Park, I see them quite often but I rarely get into conversations with them. I'm not generally in the mood to socialize when I'm out on a "mission" for some images.

And that is how it is with a pro.

I recall a story by Joel Meyerowitz. He talked about how a group of his friends, out shooing at a parade, stumbled into HCB. HCB talked with them a short time and invited them for coffee after the parade was done.

Any serious pro does not want to be part of a roving hoard of photogs stalking the streets for their prey.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I live in a village of around 2000, there are pretty thatch cottages and a church that Pevsner thought had one of the "finest spires in this county of spires". Nevertheless, I never see anyone taking photos. However, there is a railway bridge just outside the village that regularly attracts photographers. On any fine evening there will be at least one, sometimes as many as eight. I often walk past that way and always stop to ask what they are waiting for, the answers are often quite defensive. I thought they all shot digital but when driving past today one chap had a FM/FE looking camera.

Sounds fanatstic. I'd like to get on the train to shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    im in ri but not in the capital where risd and brown are. i am on the coast but minutes from dense forest / woodlands
    and 15minutes from rural, run-down rust/textile-belt mills. and providence has some of the most beautiful varied and
    inspiring 19th century architecture ( and street patterns ). it isn't important ( for me at least ) to go anyplace exotic to expose film or paper
    there is always something interesting within footsteps from where you may be, you just have to see it i guess ...
    while i know of a few of photographers ( even appuggers ! ) who live near me, i haven't ever seen another photographer
    ( even anyone using their cellphone ) when i am out and about, and when people see me with a camera they either smile + keep going,
    or stop and ask the usuals ( you can get film for that, what is that a movie camera &c ) ... but not many people with cameras.
    i am sure if i didn't live in the "suburbs" and was in providence i might see more ... risd students, teachers graduates, people involved with
    as220, or the artist "colonies" that have sprung up ... but i am not usually in the city...

A great way to meet other like minded photographers.....join a herd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paparazzi_1756670c.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	73200

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paparazzi-crowding-around-Britney-Spears.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	73201
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin