Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,636   Online: 904

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    A great way to meet other like minded photographers.....join a herd.

Attachment 73200

Attachment 73201

Must be a male thing. Can't find one in the herd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmycam View Post
    seamy underside?

Where are the pix??
    You have to seek it out, which I do not. But I do talk to cops. They can show you all you want.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I live in the Rocky Mountains of Alberta Canada.
    I look out our front window I see the famous Three Sisters mountains.
    I drive for 10 minutes I'm in the Banff Park.
    I drive for an hour or so I'm at Lake Louise.
    Another ten minutes or so, from there, I'm on the Banff Jasper Highway.......
    Sucks to be you. WAAAYYYYY too much pressure to shoot.

Beauty overload. Been there so many times I know the elk by name without looking at their tags.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is sadly true. I live in Arkansas. The southern US is a photographic vacuum.
    The rural part of Pennsylvania where I live is also a photographic vacuum. Since messing with photography since the mid 70's, the only other person I have seen taking pictures besides my dad anywhere near where I live (say 20 mile radius) was my Grandmother with her Instamatic. There hasn't been a camera shop anywhere in our area since the late 1980's and that wasn't a very good one. Other than drugstore and Walmart type films (Kodacolor and Fujicolor) it has been mail-order for a looong time. (The employee store at Kodak was like a culture shock!)

DaveT: Where is that old iron works?
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    [...]

DaveT: Where is that old iron works?
    Assuming you're talking of Lock Ridge Furnace, it's in the thriving metropolis of Alburtis (pop. 2361), a ways east of Route 222, a few miles below the Route 100 intersection at Macungie. Interesting how photos are sometimes described as "a moment in time." I shot a B&W series in October 2008 including a shot of the furnace foundation with a sort of flying buttress half arch against it. last summer, a friend from western PA was here and we stopped there to discover the "flying buttress" was gone, along with a few other things. The site apparently made a transition from municipal park to a Lehigh County historical site, so perhaps they were concerned about liability issues (or maybe it collapsed in a winter snow storm!)

Another site presumably closer to you is that series I have of Armorcast, that's on the downriver side of northbound Route 345, just before it crosses the Schuylkill River at Birdsboro. There's not much left there any more except the four tall brick stacks. They seem like a candidate for an implosion but I've heard no rumors. There is a road called Armorcast Drive that leaves 345 opposite the Turkey Hill gas station, passing between a brick office building and the Rita's Water Ice on the east side. There's a new bridge happening across the Schuylkill there and it's currently a bit of a mess.

Hope that answers your question -- there's lots of delicious old rust in the Schuylkill and Lehigh river corridors.
    Last edited by DWThomas; 08-20-2013 at 04:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    A great way to meet other like minded photographers.....join a herd.

Attachment 73200

Attachment 73201
    I think it was Robert Doisneau who once said "where ever you see a lot of photographers taking pictures, you can be sure there is nothing worth photographing".

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    For you guys or gals that say you live in a vacuum. I suggest you start looking at work by other photogs. Get the books for free from the library. This guy did a lot of interesting work in and around his little town.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...E7Ks4AP164DYCA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hope that answers your question -- there's lots of delicious old rust in the Schuylkill and Lehigh river corridors
    Thanks, Dave! Neither site is particularly far from where I live, well under a half-hour's drive.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin