Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,861   Posts: 1,583,173   Online: 734

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Do you live in a "highly photographic" area?

A friend of mine and I talk quite a bit about how passionate we are about our hobbies. He's a really talented guitar player and I'm a really uhh....well I'm a photographer :P. But I also have a huge passion for motorsports. You get the idea.

He has talked about moving to a new city so he could be a part of a larger pool of musicians in an effort to form a band since we live in a very "compartmentalized" artistic area (Detroit). There are definitely artists here but the true artists seem to stay to themselves unlike the many "poseurs" in the area. Yes being in a band is a lot different than being a photographer since photography is usually a one man show but the idea made me curious.

It makes me realize that for a city as large as we live in, I have NEVER seen anyone else shooting film. And I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen a digital shooter out taking photographs.

On the other hand when I went to Tokyo, film culture was enormous there and more people seemed aware of film still being around.

This makes me think, do you guys live in a place with lots of photographers? What do you say to them if your paths cross? Just a fun thread I guess, I wasn't sure where else to put it.

-Tron

Shooter
    35mm
    I live in a village, (1,500 people), in the south-east corner of France.
    From what I've seen so far, the only other people taking pictures are tourists snapping away with their digitals.
    But, there must be at least one more of me, because our local store always has at least one copy, every month, of a serious photography magazine. I've thought about ways to find out who buys it, besides me.
    We regularly spend time in Nice, and the two camera stores there carry popular films.
    And yes, it's a really beautiful area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately I live in a photographic vacuum.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    There's a large number of folks that do the beach scenes and Balboa Park, I see them quite often but I rarely get into conversations with them. I'm not generally in the mood to socialize when I'm out on a "mission" for some images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I live in rural Mississippi, about 15 mi. from the closest town of about 5000. We travel to other cities, like Oxford (Ole Miss university) and Jackson from time to time, but I never remember seeing someone out taking pictures. Maybe sometimes at an event, or wedding, but not just out taking pictures. I'm sure there are some doing this at some time, somewhere, but probably digital. People are always surprised when they find out I'm using film, and even more so when I tell them I develop it myself. In fact, someone asked about the Retina camera I was using the other day, and when I replied it was a Kodak camera made in Germany, they said "Germany? I thought Kodak was Japanese!" Yikes! I was kind of speechless for a minute before telling them that Kodak was an American company. The response, "Really?"
    So to answer the question, no, this is definitely NOT a "highly photographic" area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am pretty far out in the suburbs of Philadelphia and there are lots of historic sites, rolling hills, farms, rivers and scenery as well as railroads and "infrastructure" subjects available. I can't say I see too many of what I might call "serious" photographers, but the shirt pocket P&S bit zappers and smart phones are often seen recording things both dramatic and mundane. My most recent impressive sighting was northwest of here at the remains of an old iron works on Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day. As I wandered around the outside of one of the major buildings looking for a suitable shot, I encountered a guy with a handcart full of gear centered around an Arca monorail 4x5. I was hard to miss, bearing a brand new, somewhat elegant homemade 8x10 pinhole camera and so we had a good discussion. He lives in the Lehigh Valley and is selling LF work as an avocation.

Obviously in "Old City" Philadelphia where there are things like Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, there is a lot of photographic activity, though perhaps not a large percentage goes beyond vacation snapshots.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    A friend of mine and I talk quite a bit about how passionate we are about our hobbies. He's a really talented guitar player and I'm a really uhh....well I'm a photographer :P. But I also have a huge passion for motorsports. You get the idea.

He has talked about moving to a new city so he could be a part of a larger pool of musicians in an effort to form a band since we live in a very "compartmentalized" artistic area (Detroit). There are definitely artists here but the true artists seem to stay to themselves unlike the many "poseurs" in the area. Yes being in a band is a lot different than being a photographer since photography is usually a one man show but the idea made me curious.

It makes me realize that for a city as large as we live in, I have NEVER seen anyone else shooting film. And I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen a digital shooter out taking photographs.

On the other hand when I went to Tokyo, film culture was enormous there and more people seemed aware of film still being around.

This makes me think, do you guys live in a place with lots of photographers? What do you say to them if your paths cross? Just a fun thread I guess, I wasn't sure where else to put it.

-Tron
    I know a number of Detroitians who are serious film photographers, and there are thousands of photos of the urban decay there being taken every day and showing up online. As much fun as it is to travel for photography, it's a self-imposed blindness to what can be photographed in our own backyards that makes people feel the need to move, or even just vacation, to find "photogenic" subject matter. I'm lucky in a sense that I live in a target-rich environment in a rapidly evolving neighborhood here in Washington DC, so if nothing else I have lots of change I can document. But if nature and landscape are more your thing, there are tons of places to go within a 2-hour driving radius of the city. If people are your thing, there's people everywhere. About the only subject matter I can't photograph around DC is underwater - the Potomac River is too muddy most of the time, and too cold half the year to swim in. But if I want to shoot ON the water, there's the Potomac, and not too far away, the Chesapeake Bay. So the only restriction I face is self-imposed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't believe anyone lives in a photographic vacuum. Interresting photos can be made any where, one merely has to open their eyes and imagination.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A very photographic area -- and a strong photographer presence. I also am in charge of the darkroom at a university.

But when out photographing, I rarely see anyone (it is not a social event for me). And photographing under the redwoods is difficult for most people, but I love it.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    I live in a village of around 2000, there are pretty thatch cottages and a church that Pevsner thought had one of the "finest spires in this county of spires". Nevertheless, I never see anyone taking photos. However, there is a railway bridge just outside the village that regularly attracts photographers. On any fine evening there will be at least one, sometimes as many as eight. I often walk past that way and always stop to ask what they are waiting for, the answers are often quite defensive. I thought they all shot digital but when driving past today one chap had a FM/FE looking camera.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin