Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,057   Online: 929

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Yeah, giclee is still around. My art loving wife asked me what it meant and I think was a little disappointed when I explained it was just high-brow speak for "ink jet."

Not that ink jet prints can't be really good - I've seen some - but it's still an ink jet. Dressing it up in pretentious French doesn't change anything but make the one doing the labeling look pretentious if not downright silly, IMHO.
    Giclee actually comes from the French word to spurt or squirt. Use your imagination.

Officious lady in a gallery....yes ma'am, this picture was spurted and squirted on. And it costs $10,000.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not that ink jet prints can't be really good - I've seen some - but it's still an ink jet.
    This illustrates, after all is said and done, the essence of the issue in only 18 short words...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Vivian Maier show is open at our local photo gallery and I grabbed a couple of my no photographic buddies to come see it.

They were amazed at her photos. My buddies asked what silver gelatin was so got to explain the difference. Fun stuff.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Huh? That doesn't make any sense. Photography was NEVER called "painting" as far as I am aware (other than by the linguistic meaning of the term) so why would painters "say the same thing?"

I'm just saying that the two media are sufficiently different they should be CALLED different arts, just as painting is not the same as sculpture, though a better analogy might be watercolors versus oils or such - both are painting but they are definitely not the same art form.
    Your take was more literal than I intended, but I get your point.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Giclee actually comes from the French word to spurt or squirt. Use your imagination.

Officious lady in a gallery....yes ma'am, this picture was spurted and squirted on. And it costs $10,000.
    Oddly enough, my "art loving wife" is also fluent in French, or used to be (faded with lack of use but still fluent in written French) having minored in it as an undergrad and done six months study abroad in France, making straight As all in French - but wasn't familiar with the term. I guess they didn't teach that at either her US or French universities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    This illustrates, after all is said and done, the essence of the issue in only 18 short words...

Ken
    Sadly, that comment illustrated a lot about you.

After pages of discussion and a sort of a meeting of the minds that different photographers have different goals and ideas of photography, you need a parting shot across the bow like that.

An absolute obsession and an unwillingness to let something go.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C'mon 'blansky'... You're still doing it. As are the others.

It really DOES illustrate the point. But to see that one cannot overlay the literal meaning of the assertion with layer upon layer of their own pejorative interpretations.

No matter how many people might really, really want to believe that a silver photographic print is a crayon drawing, it's not. They can come up with a gazillion reasons why they are convinced that it really is a crayon drawing. But when all is said and done... it's not.

A silver print is still just a silver print. A crayon drawing is still just a crayon drawing. And an inkjet print is still just an inkjet print. (And by the same reasoning, a dog is still just a dog and a cat is still just a cat.) Things are what they just are. And calling them exactly what they just are, and recognizing that they are exactly what you just called them, is not a pejorative exercise.

To call an inkjet print just an inkjet says absolutely nothing about it's quality, or it's desirability, or it's difficulty to produce, or it's worth. What it says is... it's just an inkjet print. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Until, that is, the reader begins to overlay their own pejorative interpretations. Also known as reading between the lines. Also known as creating assumptions. Also known as hearing only what they want to hear.

If he said 'it's just an inkjet print' then he must really be trying to say it's inferior. Well, I know he didn't actually SAY that. But I just know that's what he really MEANS...

It is??

So tell me, if I can't call an inkjet print an inkjet print without offending people who like inkjet prints, just what the hell am I supposed to call it?

Loretta???

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-26-2013 at 11:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: It should be obvious...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well to be fair I've always thought "silver gelatin print" is a bit of pretentious nonsense too. But "traditional darkroom print" probably doesn't actually mean much to the average person who even in the film heyday was only vaguely aware that film was "developed" into prints in a darkroom, and today may not even be aware of any need for a darkened room at all even in the past.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "

I'm just saying that the two media are sufficiently different they should be CALLED different arts, just as painting is not the same as sculpture, though a better analogy might be watercolors versus oils or such - both are painting but they are definitely not the same art form.
    I've been giving that sermon for 10 years and I even get panned on APUG for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    So tell me, if I can't call an inkjet print an inkjet print without offending people who like inkjet prints, just what the hell am I supposed to call it?
    It wants to be called 'Loretta'.

"Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin