Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,823   Online: 1194

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewDunn View Post
    It wants to be called 'Loretta'.

LOL
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewDunn View Post
    It wants to be called 'Loretta'.

"They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most interesting. Working professionals around me, additional to my own work, never refer to print processes as "injket". Such a name is associated with a generally inferior quality and archival stability. And there is a big difference in what is actually done out there! What is wrong with referring to any photograph as prints? Or is getting bent out of shape over one process vs another and semantics all the go instead? Darkroom-produced prints are very commonly referred to as silver gelatin prints — neat; a quaint, old world term that elicits an aura of mystery and authority in the photographer. Then there is the alternative process camp: they are commonly termed "hybrid-X prints": colourimetrically synthesized RGB exposed to traditional photographic media (chiefly Kodak Endura Professional MET, among a swag of others, including, fibre, silk, RC-coated media now). Giclee is inkjet by definition, often favoured for quick proofing, but it is not a broad definition that sits easy with print processes that are off-hand or ignorantly referred to as "inkjet" when something is not produced by such a process.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Or is getting bent out of shape over one process vs another and semantics all the go instead?
    Oh good grief...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    We have amateurs who like to dabble and see themselves as fine art or portrait photographers and who parrot whomever they are emulating even though they couldn't sell a print of anything whether it's analog or digital, and nor do they care. It's a fun hobby.
    You pretty much nailed me with this one.

Think I found a term worth using...

Parmelian Prints.

Now I know, a print I make costs me $2.50 a sheet for the paper. And an inkjet print costs $2.50 a sheet for the ink. So it's not like I'm using MORE expensive materials when I do silver gelatin. I do like an assurance that a print I'm buying is special. So when I bought a print from a local photographer, instead of buying the print I was MOST attracted to (an 8x10 - obviously one of her popular ones), I selected one that I was most PERSONALLY drawn to from her series of 50 for 50. I am still personally pleased with my purchase. Last week's paper's headline reminded me - the local artists guild is having their 50th 50 for 50 (sic) show!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Think I found a term worth using...
    Just remember to leave off that final 's'. They already are plural...

Ken

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Just remember to leave off that final 's'. They already are plural...

Ken
    That would work as well.

The paper, by the way, exaggerated the age of the show. It's only in its 5th year.

On another forum, I'm participating in a thread where the debate centers on the effectiveness of Selenium toning... Now the outcome of that thread will probably have lasting impact.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "oil vs watercolor"

Sifting through all this, that observation is the lasting impact of this thread for me.

Of course missing from this obsession is the real purpose of photography.

The actual subject.

So while all this emotion is spent on semantics, process, naming and outrage, if the subject sucks then who really cares.

It's like arguing and obsessing over what kind of sandals Jesus wore.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Of course missing from this obsession is the real purpose of photography.

The actual subject.

So while all this emotion is spent on semantics, process, naming and outrage, if the subject sucks then who really cares.

It's like arguing and obsessing over what kind of sandals Jesus wore.
    I think he probably wore the open toe variety.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin