Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,106   Online: 1017

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 913141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Of course missing from this obsession is the real purpose of photography.

The actual subject.
    I feel quibbly this morning and Ken's already had his turn in the barrel so I'm gonna pick on you. What you say here is not at all universal, and my great-grandfather, who was basically a landscape pictorialist, more or less took my father out behind the barn when the latter had the nerve to suggest it. (He was a big advocate of the "it's about light" party line; personally I'd include line and composition as well.)

Or, to put it another way, ceci n'est pas une pipe. That's a painting, of course, but I think it says just about everything that can be said about the "purpose" of representational imagemaking in any medium.

It's like arguing and obsessing over what kind of sandals Jesus wore.
    You just *know* somewhere there's a forum dedicated to exactly that. It's a kind of work-safe Rule 34...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course missing from this obsession is the real purpose of photography.

The actual subject.

So while all this emotion is spent on semantics, process, naming and outrage, if the subject sucks then who really cares.
    From post #137...

"It seems to me that most of the contributors here want to define it simply by how they use it."

"Because this is what I do with it, this is what it is. And the corollary, How could it possibly be anything else? Which inevitably leads to, Those guys don't know what they are talking about!"

What a thing is used for in no way definitively speaks to what it really is. Or how two things may differ. Lots of people successfully pound nails with the handle side of screwdrivers. That doesn't make a screwdriver a hammer.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 08-27-2013 at 12:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Better clarity...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    What a thing is used for in no way definitively speaks to what it really is. Or how two things may differ. Lots of people successfully pound nails with the handle side of screwdrivers. That doesn't make a screwdriver a hammer.

Ken
    So if I take a picture with a camera, put on a piece of paper, mount it in a frame, and put it on the wall; what should I call it.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    So if I take a picture with a camera, put on a piece of paper, mount it in a frame, and put it on the wall; what should I call it.
    A photograph?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

If photography is not about the subject then why don't blind people make more photographs for other blind people?
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A photograph?

Ken
    Does it matter what tools get it from scene to wall?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If photography is not about the subject then why don't blind people make more photographs for other blind people?
    I was just thinking that this thread didn't have enough petty bickering as it is and that we needed to start throwing innocent people under the bus to make our point...
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A photograph?

Ken
    Well you could certainly call it an "image" or a "print." From there it diverges a bit. I suppose given currently accepted usage you could certainly call it a "photograph" just as either an oil or water color is a painting, to use my analogy above.

Does it matter what tools get it from scene to wall?
    It does to some of us, doesn't to others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At what point does the validity argument end? This discussion is more pedantic than a sophomore art-history course on contemporary art.

"But what is art?"

"Is the chair art?"

"Well it could be art to someone..."

"If it's a handmade chair...but not from a factory."

"But by that logic then Andy Warhol..."

We put pictures on paper. That's about it.

The argument isn't what car you took, or how many gears it has, or even if it has a funny procedure necessary to switch between them... but if the destination was worth the drive.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    N.B.

The whole mystique of FILM IS ART is bullshit, and an argument that would have been universally swatted down in a moments notice 15 years ago. One must remind oneself from time to time that our exclusive little club used to have everyone and their mother as members.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin