Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,602   Online: 1242

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Ken likes a little hyperbole to add punch to his articles. Film use "exploding" sounds more exciting than "it seems like film sales are continuing to increase", and sounding like an accountant.
    I've read his blog regularly for years and have learned a lot. He is quite ready to call something a piece of junk if he thinks that's what it is.
    I don't always agree with him, but that's fine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nice blog, a little hard to read because of the formatting. Thank goodness the "blink" tag was taken away so we don't have to endure THAT.

But great article.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't like KR... although i used to read his site all the time as well, haven't in months, and only for a glance. i thought he was all about photography, but his end goal is money (as is everyones, but as a photography site, i'd think there should be more than just getting as many readers to click on his links), which is the reason he moved to NY, when amazon was gonna be forced to pay taxes (something along those lines).

As a newbie, he wasn't very helpful, and with a lack of hands on reviews, why even read the articles (on digital)...

when i stopped reading was when he was 'about' to announce the new Full Frame winner, i don't know how but i ended up reading he said the d800 was the winner, on an article he had backtracked on and edited, meanwhile on his front page, he continued to hook in readers, by saying he was having trouble deciding between C or N... all i was thinking was, he's probably not even reading any of the cameras, which is REALLY MESSED UP, because some people will go on to purchase a camera based on his Non-reviews...

Most importantly, have you seen his photos?
    i don't want to read/take any advice from KR...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Really, the topic here was the "exploding" popularity of film!

I did think the articles about the 36MP DSLRs and not needing longer lenses since you could just crop was kind of dumb. Maybe it works for him, but it doesn't matter how many megapigsells you have, the lens has got to keep up with it!

Are film sales really increasing? Or maybe stopped falling?
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hopefully film use is exploding!

As for KR he seems to get extreme reactions from many people one way or the other. I take him with a grain of salt and haven't really looked at his site in the past few years.

But. I blame him for my drooling GAS around the 28mm F/2.8 AIS, which I don't really need since I've got 24, 35 and 55mm; but... but... well it's right in the "sweet" range for me and I know I'd love 28mm, and KEH is one click away and it's not very expensive and .... argh!
    I've restrained myself for over a year but I doubt I'll hold out much longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Film sales may possibly be exploding compared to say 2009 levels, but compared to, say 1989 levels, its probably no more then a minor minor blip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Film just goes, while the shuttle program was cancelled back in 2011. So much for digital."

What a freaking riot, he always cracks me up with something, LOL!
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think he's an awful photographer that has a really strange sense of humor.

I read the blog from time to time if I have -nothing- else to do...maybe once a month or so.

Him and Huff are better known for their writing than their sense of lighting...not admirable traits in a photographer, IMO.

I file them under "internet experts"
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never heard of him?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree somewhat with KR. Personally I don't feel that film use is "exploding" but I do get the sense that there is a renewed interest in traditional black and white photography. My journey into photography only started out about 5 years ago when I was in Japan and purchased a Nikon DSLR. Then one day I inherited a whole box of darkroom equipment and I've been hooked on black and white film ever since. I now also own a Hassy and some 35mm cameras. I don't know whether it is by accident or not but I've noticed a lot of younger people taking up film. I like to think of film like vinyl records.... not the most convenient thing but has a uniqueness that cannot be truly replicated in the digital world and therefore there will always be a market for it. Another reason I love using film is because I can make photographs without any computer or electronic device taking part (ok ok except for light meter and enlarger). I think this is making film quite a lot of fun for younger generation since we spend so much time at work on computers. I cannot see my interest in photography continuing without film playing a large part. I'd love to see some sort black and white starter kits being sold to build some more momentum though.... something with everything you need to get up and running eg, 35mm camera, film developing equipment and enlarger..... I think a kit like this would sell well these days as younger people start to realise that you can actually do it all yourself at home! Anywayz... I'm rambling.... my 3 cents

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin