Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,848   Online: 952

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1519202122232425
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    However the point is (was) "is film photography gaining in popularity?" Well???
    Anecdotal evidence aside, I guess the way to know is get the numbers from the film companies.

Probably more accurate than some guy saying he's going to start shooting film.

Fluff pieces in magazine articles and on blogs is just the daily filler needed to feed the machine.

It would be great if it actually is growing. More options, more choice.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewDunn View Post
    Does anyone in this thread *honestly* care whether someone on the internet whose name you do not know and whom you will never meet in real life think that what you do is or is not photography?
    This is about the funniest thing I read all day.

For those not in on the joke... MatthewDunn and I are going to get together in real life to do some darkroom work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Real life? Or virtual abstract life??

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    However the point is (was) "is film photography gaining in popularity?" Well???
    I'd be surprised if film sales are more than 2% of 1995. Hope I'm wrong. Maybe digital opened up a new constituency of people who wouldn't have taken photographs before, because relative percentage of film to digital must be nearer 0.01%. Among photographers who consider themselves enthusiasts, I'd guess around 5% shoot film. However you look at it, film is pretty niche these days, but as a technology for which new hardware sales are next to non-existent, film is a massive success story. Compared to audio tape with a similar heritage, film is positively booming!
    Last edited by blockend; 08-30-2013 at 04:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only read KR's site for it's entertainment value. I don't take any of it seriously. You'll come across something like "Sharpness doesn't matter. Pros don't care about sharpness, especially in the corners." And in another one of his articles you'll see something like "I love this lens. It's sharp sharp sharp, even in the corners."
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was reminded of this thread when I saw the prices of used Nikon gear shoot up / being stable on ebay.
    I had been wanting to try some of the older nikon gear but had put it off as I wanted to use the newly bought old stuff first - was in '11. Now, I see that most of the gear has appreciated in price. Even used Nikon flashes!

Some are attributed to strobist, others to Nex and other micro 4/3rd users buying up the lenses.

Maybe film might pick up too!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    I only read KR's site for it's entertainment value. I don't take any of it seriously. You'll come across something like "Sharpness doesn't matter. Pros don't care about sharpness, especially in the corners." And in another one of his articles you'll see something like "I love this lens. It's sharp sharp sharp, even in the corners."
    He does have some good stuff on there. Like pack light - you get more pictures when you're not fumbling with equipment. My main lens is a 28-200mm f/4 zoom, though I do have a manual focus 50mm f/2 lens as well. With my Pentax PZ-20 I can have all of the automation, or none of it except the motor drive. I have 5 program modes, aperture priority, shutter priority, and fully manual for exposure (with the 50mm lens I have I lose all exposure modes except aperture priority and manual). I can even turn AF off if I so desire. In some situations, I do exactly that - turn all of the automation off (I do use the built-in meter though, even in manual mode).

Another thing - it's not all about the gear. KR knows this.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin