Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,164   Online: 1024

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Frankly I have to thank him as he is the reason why I ended shooting film.
    Back in 2008 he did many film articles and I ended convinced that it was easier to use my dad's old nikon for a family event then buying a new DSLR. The results stunned me, even being cheap C41.
    The slippery slope brought me to even shoot kodachrome, as the first ever slide film I shot. It brought me experiences many other young shooters haven't got.

Quote Originally Posted by mesantacruz View Post
    I don't like KR... although i used to read his site all the time as well, haven't in months, and only for a glance. i thought he was all about photography, but his end goal is money (as is everyones, but as a photography site, i'd think there should be more than just getting as many readers to click on his links), which is the reason he moved to NY, when amazon was gonna be forced to pay taxes (something along those lines).
    As a newbie he can suck you in; I used to be a daily follower but when I saw that much of his goal is money and he has a bit of opulence around I dropped. However, I continue to read from time to time and he does a few good articles every once in a while. With some BS filtering it's alright.

Another great article was published a while ago, called "Disposable photos" and sadly true.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes film use is exploding. So is the building down the block they are demolishing. Exploding isn't always a good thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    I did think the articles about the 36MP DSLRs and not needing longer lenses since you could just crop was kind of dumb. Maybe it works for him, but it doesn't matter how many megapigsells you have, the lens has got to keep up with it!
    Actually there's a lot of truth in that. I have one of those 36MP DSLRs, and it is liberating to crop and still get a high quality image out. But the same has been true for years with film. I have heavily cropped medium and large format film when I wanted to use a longer lens than I had with me (or owned). With a quality lens and fine grained film you can get decent results even with a large crop (which is effectively just a big enlargement). Certainly using the ideal lens for each shot would be nice, but it's not always realistic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Something's going on - My son has just come back from NY, having stayed out there for a couple of weeks with his GF (her parents presently live there). He went with my little panasonic digi which I virtually never use, and came back with zero digi pix and 4 x disposable cameras. I asked him why and he said disposables are more fun. Now he's just gone out to France, and he's taken my olympus trip. I certainly haven't been force-feeding him film and most of the time he just uses the ubiquitous iphone, but, something's definitely going on with film. Exploding? maybe not, but it ain't dying just yet. I wonder if any of the mainstream camera companies might just re-introduce a film camera. With all this retro-looking digi stuff, and the whole "vintage" movement out there, I wouldn't be surprised. Fuji X100 for film anyone? Even the cases are retro http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Lea...lm+x100+camera. I probably look really up to date now with my brown leather ever-ready's LOL

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I truly believe "the kids these days" are longing for something, anything authentic in their lives. For many of them, proper film photography can fill that roll.

KR is something of a provocateur. He loves to tweak his audience, most of whom don't even suspect they are being had.

But its all right there if you look for it. He openly discusses his views eg "Bad rich amateurs think fuzzy B/W images of poor people are art." - How can you not love that?

I've bought some film and chemistry from Adorama recently. I used KR's referral button, just to toss him a bone. I truly do appreciate his efforts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KR is rather interesting. I too sometimes don't know how to interpret what he is saying. I do appreciate his positive outlook towards film which seems to not be very common in other like him.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I interpret ken as the "teacher" type of a sort - particularly within the realm of "those who cannot do..." (Note I use the term for him because it conveys the thought succinctly but don't really agree with the actual sentiment of the term itself). He also strikes me as a bit impish and playing around with the heads of his audience. I think if he didnt have so much commercial support from various manufacturers etc. you'd see quite a bit more "truth" coming out of his mouth.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, KR has certainly gained a following. Beware of what he says because a lot of it is absolute BS, and he changes his mind continually. This is what KR says about his own website.

This website is [snip] a work of fiction, entirely the product of my own imagination…this site is my “aggressive personal opinion,” and not a logical presentation of fact…I occasionally weave fiction and satire into my stories to keep them interesting…if you consider anything I say as an endorsement (God help you if you do, remember, I do this site as a goof)…

Take anything he says with a huge grain of salt...perhaps an entire salt block...

If you really read his information most of it is fiction.

But, based on the WSJ's recent article on Leica, they didn't do their research enough to figure out what he is actually doing. Instead they quoted him as an "expert." I would guess that KR is laughing his a!! off all the way to the bank.

I have not personally believed a word of what he says and I very rarely read anything on his site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And therein lies his genius. KR understands that gear is almost completely irrelevant to photographic results, so he bangs out his reviews and the gearheads/pixel peepers will spend hours discussing the finer points of the latest DSLR masterpiece from Canikon. He happily obliges them (notice how many times he says something like "This camera is the greatest ever, at any price!"

Why would he say that?

Because he understands it doesn't matter. Not in the least. And because it doesn't matter, its also completely true. That camera you want...the one that the marketing machine has convinced you you need and therefore you take to the interwebs looking for people to tell you not only that its great, but that you probably can't live without it...KR is there to push your button. He is there to tell you what you want to hear.

KR understands that every single iconic photograph taken in the 20th century was produced using a camera that was inferior to every single modern camera in every measurable way. In his hyperbole, he indulges the "measurebator" class that actually thinks it matters whether or not they "upgrade" from a D7000 to a D7100 (don't laugh: Surely we've all seen those discussion threads on photography forums. Guys will debate ENDLESSLY whether or not to get X or Y, when in reality they could buy something two generations back and never miss the difference). And they click his links and he makes whatever it is he makes (I actually doubt its all that much, but who cares anyway?).

And what amazes me is that all the while he is publishing his reviews, he is telling people that the reviews don't matter. And people still argue about them.

Heh.

I've never met him, but I bet he is a very funny guy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like Ken.

He is a mediocre photographer and he contradicts himself often but he does make a lot of sense if you can weed out his bullsh*t. I think Omaha is right that he would be a fun guy to hang out with. As far as interest in film exploding, well exploding sounds exciting and he's vying for readers of his site.

I do have Ken to thank for motivating me to try out large format with his Tachihara review. If he can attract more photographers to film then I'm not going to complain.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin