Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,473   Online: 1120

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Hey this is all a great debate about KR, and I like his site most of the time, too, but the real topic was about this comment about "the exploding popularity of film!"

-- Jason
    Haha, yes, I should have put that line a little later in my comment, quite a bit later!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure if it's exploding, but I've converted around March. My last overseas trip to Nepal was shot only on film.
    Now I'm working on converting one of my friends as well, at least for his black and white photography. He started looking at a used hasselblad 500, but he is still hesitant. Although he likes my results a lot.
    I the popularity is growing, but people are a lot more aware of it and might consider it.
    Although, humans are LAZY. Converting to film is the same as telling people to go to gym, start cooking at home, eat healthy and lose weight. It's just not going to happen...

I should also mention, that I've received quite lot more complements for the photos I've posted on facebook. Very often followed by what mobile I've used to take them with and which one do I recommend.
    Once I answer that it was taken on old film camera, I get silence...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Kodak already sold that business. It is now for the new owner of the still photography business to decide and to order films.

If they feel any rumble of an explosion at all...
    Lets not make it out like they sold it to some random company. They're playing paper games and they still effectively control it. Let's also remember it's never been anything but profitable.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post

I should also mention, that I've received quite lot more complements for the photos I've posted on facebook. Very often followed by what mobile I've used to take them with and which one do I recommend.
    Once I answer that it was taken on old film camera, I get silence...
    Haven't really put up analogue pics on fb, but given how distorted - in quality, my digital pics look on fb - how do these hold up?

- via tapatalk.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Haven't really put up analogue pics on fb, but given how distorted - in quality, my digital pics look on fb - how do these hold up?

- via tapatalk.
    I don't upload big photos to internet, only 1000px max at widest point. Sometimes even 800, both of flickr and facebook (you can look at my flckr album in my signature).
    What I'm talking about is the look, character, colours, etc...
    I guess what helps that I focus now more on composition and the art side of photography instead of just collecting gear...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    I think Matthew is right on target with his thoughts there.

I'll add that one of the things that brought me back to film is the notion of "authenticity".

I'll grant that it is entirely possible to create, using purely digital photography, just about any "look" that can be created in the analog world. And even if you can't get 100% of the way there, you can get 99.9%.

But even if you do, you are creating a simulation of something else. Why create that when you can create something authentically real?

That's what I'm in it for.

Yes it is, "just about it". But it's a lot — damned lot, much harder to do. Like others in my field, I do not intentionally set out to do this in my hybridised workflow; the authenticity and grace of analogue hanging beside the cold, hard edge of digital puts things in brutual perspective: producing prints from both analogue and digital, I can say both have their own distinctive look and feel and I don't set out to make them one and same, why should I? Digi will never be bang on form the way film renders nuances of colour, texture and the softer, less-jarring delineation of lines than does an over-sharpened (today's latest craze) digital image.

One thing that caught my eye of KR's Shooting Film page was KR scanning 10,000 x 8,000 pixels from a 6x7 slide (!) The one question we are asking is Why??
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it was to keep all the pixel peepers quiet.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Lets not make it out like [Kodak] sold it to some random company. They're playing paper games and they still effectively control it. Let's also remember it's never been anything but profitable.
    Their creditor (KPP) gave up the most of their claims in that trade. Now KPP are expected to even give up control of their new assets?
    Hard to believe...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Their creditor (KPP) gave up the most of their claims in that trade. Now KPP are expected to even give up control of their new assets?
    Hard to believe...
    Well whatever man. I'm still shooting Kodak film and will always be shooting it for as long as it's available. Some of the best film made.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Yes it is, "just about it". But it's a lot — damned lot, much harder to do. Like others in my field, I do not intentionally set out to do this in my hybridised workflow; the authenticity and grace of analogue hanging beside the cold, hard edge of digital puts things in brutual perspective:
    That would be an analogue wet print versus digital or hybrid w decent scan vs digital print? At what size? Some pictures I can clearly make out Analogue vs Digital, but I had printed a few photos of hybrid analogue and some digital at 20" by 30" and I found myself veering towards digital print. (scanned on Nikon 4000 I think, and shot on Ilford delta 100)

- via tapatalk.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin