Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,448   Online: 969

Page 1 of 25 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ken Rockwell and the popularity of film photography

Like Ken Rockwell or hate him, I happen to like Ken's blog from time to time. On his "Today's Updates" page posted today is this gem of a passage in the section entitled "How to Shoot Film:"

This entire site has always been about shooting film, so it makes me giggle that this site's been around long enough that there are kids today who've never even taken a real photograph.

All the digital camera stuff is in response to your requests, and therefore as film's popularity continues to explode, I finally wrote How to Shoot Film for those who've asked.*
    Ken is certainly more in touch with the wide world of photography than I am but does anyone really believe there is any validity to this? Or, is it just sarcasm? It would be great if it were true. I'd love to know how he came to this conclusion but so far he hasn't filled me in.

You can read the whole posting here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

* (The emphasis is mine)
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    KR is my guilty pleasure. I think he is a genius.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "...there are kids today who've never even taken a real photograph."

or

I can't really decide...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't think he is being sarcastic....but I am suprised as I always thought that Ken was a gear head (mind you, I haven't read his blog for probably 5 or 6 years now)

Shooter
    35mm
    I confess that I sometimes judge people who quote KR as THE authority on all things photographic. It's not personal, but I don't take him too seriously and I don't think he takes himself too seriously either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The central truth of KR is that he understands that gear doesn't matter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like him most of the time. Which is to say I read and use the info on his site often. And occasionally I strongly disagree. However he still uses film and writes about it which is rare these days.

He is the reason I own an F5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    The central truth of KR is that he understands that gear doesn't matter.

Another central truth of KR is that he writes equipment reviews.... often the day the said equipment is announced and way before anyone (including him) has the gear. He's also quite a binary kind of guy. Either the gear is the best thing ever or a piece of garbage no one should buy...

Somewhere on his site, he clearly says (at least did at one point) his site is a joke, and it is for his amusement. He says no one should take it seriously.

I don't.... and he's funny in a strange way.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually, he's said quite a few positive things about film and film cameras lately and I like his occasional equipment reviews of vintage gear.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to Him, I have a N75 and a N80, which are my favorite cameras for shooting, ever.

Page 1 of 25 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin