Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,271   Online: 761

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The best phrase I took from the (good) article: "I take the approach that the Dalai Lama suggests, looking for what I have in common with people -- and artists -- before I consider how we might differ in our views. "
    I especially liked that line as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I know you weren't referring to post my post above.
    Yes, I was referring to the thread starter, not your post. No skin off my ass if you do or don't like Huffington Post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep. This sounds familiar. My final paper in Philosophy of Art was about interpretation ruining art. Susan Sontag's Against Interpretation is a great essay on the subject. Also, I covered this to some extent in a thread a while ago.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/1...statement.html
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I once deconstructed some photos people brought in for critique. What a mess!
    Last edited by Klainmeister; 08-16-2013 at 02:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think deconstructed images should be defined as turning them into jigsaw puzzles.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Firstly, everyone has an opinion.

Secondly, everyone needs to make a living.

That brings us the uncomfortable bedfellows known as art and commerce.

Part of the art side consists of artists, schools, teachers and of course serious bullshitters and failed artists.

Part of the commerce side consists of agents, galleries, salespeople, media writers and of course serious bullshitters and failed artists.

Put them all together and you've got the clusterfuck that is ART.
    Last edited by blansky; 08-17-2013 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

That brings us the the uncomfortable bedfellows known as art and commerce.

Part of the art side consists of artists, schools, teachers and of course serious bullshitters and failed artists.

Part of the commerce side consists of agents, galleries, salespeople, media writers and of course serious bullshitters and failed artists.

Put them all together and you got the clusterfuck that is ART.
    I have neither heard nor read a more succinct description.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firstly...
    Remember when I said in the PM that you were one of my favorite posters?

This is why I said that...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

That brings us the uncomfortable bedfellows known as art and commerce.

Put them all together and you've got the clusterfuck that is ART.
    I think you're a brilliant person, but if you tell me that art is a mix of artistic expression and commerce, then I'm going to have to have another drink...
    Maybe I'm the exception; I don't know. While I like it when others appreciate my work to the point that they shell out hard earned cash for one of my works, selling my work never really enters my mind as I pursue what I love so much to do.
    Am I the only one here who makes their living elsewhere, so that we can sustain our passion of being photographers/artists?

I generally agree with your statement, but would like some clarification on the commerce thing.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I think you're a brilliant person, but if you tell me that art is a mix of artistic expression and commerce, then I'm going to have to have another drink...
    Maybe I'm the exception; I don't know. While I like it when others appreciate my work to the point that they shell out hard earned cash for one of my works, selling my work never really enters my mind as I pursue what I love so much to do.
    Am I the only one here who makes their living elsewhere, so that we can sustain our passion of being photographers/artists?

I generally agree with your statement, but would like some clarification on the commerce thing.
    Thanks for the "brilliant" comment but believe me, it is extreme hyperbole.

My comment was not about art but about ART.

What you do is art. ART is the phenomena that happens when the middlemen/women appear on the scene to help in the creation, marketing and distribution of art.

Unfortunately artists are rarely good at commerce, therein lies the vacuum.
    Last edited by blansky; 08-17-2013 at 10:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin