Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,158   Online: 1081

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've been a Guardian reader all my adult life it's a great independent national newspaper, and this is a very good article worthy of it.
    I have also been a Guardian reader for many years and have enjoyed many articles and points of view from what I considered to be a paper with some form of integrity and intelligence. However, I have recently switched to the I paper on grounds of cost and because I have also found many of the guardian supplements unnecessary. What next to the family supplement and cooks promoted as artists, the electricians independent perhaps? I don’t want all that crap and most of the content are articles put forth by the publicists of stars for self-promotion and advertising. With regard to the article mentioned by the OP, I thought the content quite vacuous.
    Last edited by cliveh; 08-30-2013 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes of course you can't give a blanket damnation of digital images being uncreative, because many are excellent, and I enjoy looking at a well crafted photo from wherever it originated. The article was interesting and I can't comment on it's accuracy, but DI has relegated camera stores and photofinishers to the history books, and left film manufactures limping but still with good vital signs.
    Interestingly,there is a local radio show about photography, where the host discusses various techniques etc, and while she has a lot of good ideas, she did say that film photography was well and truly dead and buried. Once that would have irked me, but now I just load up another film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Were it not for the internet, how many of us would actually write a single word beyond whatever our work required during any given day? I wonder how much better our writing has become by contributing to or originating threads here and elsewhere on line? I've no way to tabulate the difference, but the ubiquity of cell phone and digicam photos may actually have enriched the visual literacy of more people than we may realize. Doesn't that raise the bar for 'serious' photographers to offer a higher quality of photograph than would be required otherwise? I am certain that the "wow" factor is even greater for those throngs who have made endless pet and sunset photos, but recognize that they haven't come close to the visual excitement that really well made images generate. This article is a major whine that just has no traction for me. Suck it up, buttercup, and raise the bar!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^Some great comments here in dissent of the author, I too find the author trying to create one of those art-technology-get-off-my-lawn-David-v-Goliath-binary-polarizing-debates....bla bla bla's.....

Really, I'd love to show this yahoo my wife's digi created photo books she's made using *dare I say it* print on demand....

What a joke, the author is just trying to make folks argue! Do what ya want to keep happy folks, life's too short for this stuff. Heck Instagram is bad but many damn the Lomo crowd too. Joke. The worlds not black and white, it, err, has great tonality
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This theory that the author intends only to disparage digital as a sort of sentimental, rabble-rousing tactic is gaining momentum.

This is not what I took from the article.

Eastman inserted demand for his product way back when, by creating roll film cameras attainable by everyone. Everyone had the means by which to express him/herself photographically using the material Eastman allowed them (roll film, bought from him, processed by him).

In this way, Eastman exploited his consumers for profit.

Folks in Silicone Valley today created Instagram in its various incarnations and with its various appendages.

With Instagram everyone has the means by which to express him/herself photographically using the material provided by Instagram.

Instagram is free, but all of its users' personal habits and logistical information are made available to swarms of marketing companies. In this way, consumers are again being exploited for profit in ways that are much more invasive than what Eastman did.

This is what I took away from the article.
    Last edited by pstake; 08-30-2013 at 06:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^Sorry this author is everything that is wrong with media-talking-heads. He has real tangible info in his article (ie be careful with what meta data you share) but then sounds like a polarizing talking head that fill cable tv "news" shows. Just because the "undercurrent-theme" of the article is factual & real doesn't presume he can be so polarizing all the while....

Modern debate has turned this way. I will have no part looking at the world so binary (says the computer programmer )
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    This theory that the author intends only to disparage digital as a sort of sentimental, rabble-rousing tactic is gaining momentum.

This is not what I took from the article.

Eastman inserted demand for his product way back when, by creating roll film cameras attainable by everyone. Everyone had the means by which to express him/herself photographically using the material Eastman allowed them (roll film, bought from him, processed by him).

In this way, Eastman exploited his consumers for profit.

Folks in Silicone Valley today created Instagram in its various incarnations and with its various appendages.

With Instagram everyone has the means by which to express him/herself photographically using the material provided by Instagram.

Instagram is free, but all of its users' personal habits and logistical information are made available to swarms of marketing companies. In this way, consumers are again being exploited for profit in ways that are much more invasive than what Eastman did.

This is what I took away from the article.

Absolutely bang on IMO!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder how many times over the last couple of hundred years this same general topic has been repeated? The history of photography has been one of creative destruction with more and more people having access to the tools. And throughout that history people on one side are figuring out ways to exploit the consumer and make money, while on the backside people are losing their ability to make money because the consumer has moved on. And life moves on and these cycles continue to repeat and people continue to write about them. Even digital is now getting caught up in this creative destruction. It may be happening quicker now, but it is still happening.

And yet true artists, the ones with vision and an ability to express that vision, don't seem to come along any more frequently. You would think that handing everyone the tools in a more democratic manner would result in more artists, but I am not sure it happens that way.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fact of the matter is that I see so much crappy photography out there it isn't even funny. It's a dime a dozen to make and people just simply refuse to self edit. The malaise is obvious and visible.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Before these malaises were confined to family albums and the real artists were in the galleries and papers, now that the wheat and chaff are in the same pool (ie the Internet)....food for thought (wait where's my camera, I gotta post a pic of this food online ASAP)....
    Andy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin