Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,518   Online: 795

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, great article, except for two things:

1. It pulls people further away from even thinking of film as an option, makes it seem more dead.

2. Makes it seem like there is no hope for professional photographers when in fact some are doing great, like me.

I know amateur camera owners, including several on here love to hear that pros are going out of business...sorry to tell you, we are not. We are not only great photographers, but great visionaries of staying ahead of trends.

In short, more web born BS...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PKM yep absolutely agreed. The author is doing the typical sensationalist "look what I can observe! I'm so smart" crap most of the "opinion" based journalists do.

I also heavily dislike his implications that Kodak is no longer making film. That pisses me off (and no AgX I don't want to hear about KPP technicalities).

In short another "film is dead" article at it's core with the self appointed hearse chasers trying to garner attention from it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Wow. Great article. Thanks for posting.

Particularly insightful passage:

"Instagram may have only had 13 employees on the books, but really it has more than 100 million people who work for the company, providing immense amounts of personal information and location metadata. Instagram users' pathetic and narcissistic freakout in December over copyright terms, as if anyone wanted to sell your cat photos in the first place, totally missed the point. The value of any photo is pretty much nil, as professional photographers have learned to their dismay. Only the data attached to them, which you give away in every social media app's terms of service, have real value."
    I wanted to bring up this paragraph too. Can anyone explain how the metadata/location information attached to these photos is so valuable? Do other companies pay Instagram to "sell" this information to them for marketing/business purposes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not the metadata on the photo itself - using the word "metadata" is accurate but slightly misleading in this context - it's all the associated clicks, referral data and whatnot; it is data about the owner of the photo, or the people who link to the photo, and the activity that goes on around the photo that is valuable. That's why you/we are the product, not the photo itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgive my stupidity but how does that data translate into profit?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    Forgive my stupidity but how does that data translate into profit?
    In the broadest sense, any data that tells you something about the interests, purchases, travels, etc. of the user is data that can be sold for marketing purposes. If Instagram has data that says, say, some of our users vacation in Ireland, they might get Aer Lingus to buy ads. You might also recall that FB floated a plan where Instagram would sell content, essentially acting as a microstock agency, but that users (providers of content) would get bupkis. This didn't go over very well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thinking people (and this includes thinking photographers) haven't disappeared, they have just distanced themselves (or have been forced to distance themselves) from the hoard. Creativity hasn't 'gone down' as the author reckons, there's just a bigger gulf now between true creatives and self-marketing posers. We all like to think of ourselves as special these days (thanks to reality TV and "you're worth it" style mass advertising). The result is, we aren't discerning enough anymore when it comes to 'the gifted' - because questioning average Joe's actual talent, ability and value ultimately means you have to question your own - and that kind of existential crisis is something we all want to avoid.

This is the price we have paid for gaining some resemblance of 'equality'. Let's all be special together!
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Thinking people (and this includes thinking photographers) haven't disappeared, they have just distanced themselves (or have been forced to distance themselves) from the hoard. Creativity hasn't 'gone down' as the author reckons, there's just a bigger gulf now between true creatives and self-marketing posers. We all like to think of ourselves as special these days (thanks to reality TV and "you're worth it" style mass advertising). The result is, we aren't discerning enough anymore when it comes to 'the gifted' - because questioning average Joe's actual talent, ability and value ultimately means you have to question your own - and that kind of existential crisis is something we all want to avoid.

This is the price we have paid for gaining some resemblance of 'equality'. Let's all be special together!
    +1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Someone can write some great code in vi or notepad at the library......
    Can we start a vi versus emacs debate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Can we start a vi versus emacs debate
    I'll stick to nano (previously pico), after having used both vi and emacs at various times.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin