Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,430   Online: 846

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Amazing Read in The Guardian

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I thought it was a particularly damning look at what has been lost with photography with the transition to digital.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...hy-photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. Great article. Thanks for posting.

Particularly insightful passage:

"Instagram may have only had 13 employees on the books, but really it has more than 100 million people who work for the company, providing immense amounts of personal information and location metadata. Instagram users' pathetic and narcissistic freakout in December over copyright terms, as if anyone wanted to sell your cat photos in the first place, totally missed the point. The value of any photo is pretty much nil, as professional photographers have learned to their dismay. Only the data attached to them, which you give away in every social media app's terms of service, have real value."
    Last edited by pstake; 08-30-2013 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damning, but not accurate and a weak argument.

While the author broadly paints digital as uncreative (which I disagree with), Kodak is somehow creative. No. Digital can be both uncreative and creative. Film can be uncreative and creative. Think of all the kodak gold 100 sold to make muddy birthday party and vacation 3x5 and 4x6 photos! The author is remembering what is good about Kodak, not what was popular.

To contradict the author, taking photos of things we wouldn't have bothered previously is likely to be creativity. It didn't start with digital. Look back to Duchamp's urinal or Man ray's photograms or Stieglitz's cloud photos. They used the technology to make new art from the mundane.

The article also gos on and on about how the bankruptcy is a tragedy. It created a tragedy, but the actual business activity that led to it is inept leadership and not tragedy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been a Guardian reader all my adult life it's a great independent national newspaper, and this is a very good article worthy of it.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess amazing is the right word. I thought it largely relied on shallow analysis and sweeping generalizations. But then I started reading the comments and got really depressed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite quote that made me laugh out loud at the breakfast table:

"...the addition of inane push-button filters to make it look as if you were eating your cronut during the Civil War."
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with you about the comments Dave, but you must remember the article was written for the intelligent layman, people like my wife who is a retired headmistress, not the photographic cognoscenti .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure about "amazing" either.

I think his heart's in the right place, but he does rather fall prey to the idea that somehow no-one ever took a bad photograph on film ... still, it is a counterbalance of some sort (The Guardian has published one or two "photography supplements" this year which either completely ignored film, or stated it is entirely moribund)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    ... I thought it was a particularly damning look at what has been lost with photography with the transition to digital....
    The article is neither damning nor depressing unless you choose to take it that way. It is just an essay and cannot really address all possible comparisons of the analog vs. digital process. If it covered everything it would be too long and nobody would read it.

It just depends on whether you are involved in photography to have fun, which favors digital (unless your notion of fun is to play with chemicals and optical reproduction), or to create beautiful photographs, which we all agree favors analog capture.

The reproduction process is similarly conflicted. If you enjoy the wet-optical approach to processing, fine. Some of us might not [any longer] have access to a darkroom or may prefer hybrid/digital reproduction.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    But then I started reading the comments and got really depressed!
    This has happened to me so often that I no longer read comments: many an enjoyable and engaging article has been ruined by the comments. I wonder if there's a way for firefox to block them...
    Steve.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin