Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,083   Online: 952

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FDUG vs APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format

FDUG vs APUG

If I were setting up this site I might have named it "Film and Darkroom User's Group" to keep the discussion confined to those things that interest people that make negatives for the purposes of darkroom printing. As it stands, the use of ANALOG in the description is even better than what I would have come up with, because it clearly indicates this is a non-digital forum.

However, despite the very clever and clearly ANALOG descriptor in the site's name, the site is littered with useless (to me) discussion of digital cameras and digital image manipulation.

Google search in the corner of the menu bar yeilds 35,600 posts containing the word 'DIGITAL.'
    Anyway, it would be nice to have a link on the menubar next to the "New Posts" that reads "New Analog-Only Posts" or something like that.

I did make a Google search that does that on my own so I'll share that here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	73895

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As your very own post shows:not every use of that word means a discussion of that technique.
    One should thus take that figure with some grain of salt.

And what you describe as an issue totally slipped my attention. Interesting though to see how one internet forum can be seen totally differently by two persons.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This suggestion doesn't make any sense to me. Digital is not a swear-word. I'm interested in film-photography, but I'm also interested in photography in general.
    For me it's more annoying that we cannot discuss scanning issues here.
    The whole gallery - and I enjoy the gallery very much - is based on hybrid process, because all the images are scanned.

I'm very happy that annoying digital is worse/better threads are banned from this forum, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There you go. Another digital thread!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If I were setting up this site I might have named it "Film and Darkroom User's Group" to ...
    I have had this conversation with Admin and I am sure I was not the only one.

It would be almost impossible to please everyone.

There are several issues. Some of us use (or used) analog for both film and printing. Some of us use film for capture but digital for printing (hybrid) and sometimes we use digital only. And some have concerns about image capture that apply to both camps.

If you try to specialize by concentrating on a single combination of capture and display technology you would leave out some of the target audience. I can't imagine how it could be better handled without just starting over with a fresh set of rules.

I think what we need to do is to ignore the discussions in which we are not interested - live and let live - and not try to be territorial about it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have any problem with the present level of references to "digital".

It would be counterproductive to ban every references, as it would be impossible to effectively discuss film and darkroom methods in 2013 without needing some mention, if only for techniques which overlap....e.g. making enlarged negatives digitally for "alternative" methods of analogue printing, as I have done myself.

I think that we all understand the spirit of keeping discussion of "full" digital taking and printing to the other Forum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so, we cannot discuss a digital timer for the darkroom? Crazy!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsaba1981 View Post
    This suggestion doesn't make any sense to me. Digital is not a swear-word. I'm interested in film-photography, but I'm also interested in photography in general.
    For me it's more annoying that we cannot discuss scanning issues here.
    The whole gallery - and I enjoy the gallery very much - is based on hybrid process, because all the images are scanned.

I'm very happy that annoying digital is worse/better threads are banned from this forum, anyway.
    + a lot

And as for the name, there is already a "Film And Darkroom Users Group" aka FADU. Nice bunch of folks. Sort of UK-centric but by no means limited to there. I hang out there when I have the time, which I haven't in some months, and have participated in several of their monthly print exchanges getting prints from and sending them back all over the world:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.org.uk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Google search in the corner of the menu bar yeilds 35,600 posts containing the word 'DIGITAL.'
    If that were the number of posts with the word "digital" on APUG, it would represent 2.5% of posts, but that includes archived posts from the RSS feed, which are doubled as posts on the full site, probably deleted posts, and posts from the old "Grey Area" which was for hybrid discussion and legitimately included digital discussion, as well as permitted discussion of scanning for the purpose of gallery posting, references to digital timers and meters, and otherwise passim digital references that aren't really off topic. It probably also includes posts in Groups that have been established by APUG members and that are outside the moderation policy.

I tried to do an advanced search to get a more accurate count, out of curiosity, but that only returned 300 posts, including deleted posts, so I suspect that the results are capped at 300 for advanced searches. The moderation tools don't seem to offer anything better for this purpose.

My sense from the post reports is that the amount of actual off-topic digital discussion is fairly small--considerably less than 1% of everything on APUG--just because most of the active members know that there are better places for that.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 09-03-2013 at 06:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This topic was covered years ago and resolved to the present state. Use the search and you can read all the view points and all the past d-----l bitchin'.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin