Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,661   Online: 950

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Really hitting it: a whole roll of keepers!

(This is one of those "about photography" topics with no natural home in the fora. I'm settling on this one because I guess it's more like philosophy than anything else.)

So I've been way behind on my postprocessing, due to being overtaken by life, and this weekend I finally got around to taking a good careful look at one of the rolls of 120 from a field trip in July 2011. To my amazement, *every* *frame* was a keeper---the first, and probably last, time that's ever happened to me. One shot has a camera-shake problem, but after consulting with my wife, who has a good eye, we decided that the compositional strengths overcame the technical weaknesses (she actually thinks it benefits from the blur; I think it would be stronger if it were sharper). None of them are *the* greatest photo ever taken, or anything, but there are a couple with which I'm quite happy, and the sudden fit of consistency kind of freaks me out. It's as if someone else, someone who actually knew what they were doing, took over my hands that afternoon!

If I did anything to get myself in the zone, it was just a day of driving around in the desert summer and taking pictures. The location was pretty good, but no better than plenty of others; I didn't meditate or fast or anything like that; on everything else I shot that day I had a good but not exceptional "hit" rate.

Unfortunately I don't have an enlarger, so my MF workflow isn't full-analog---hence I'm not going to upload to the gallery or anything like that. But the negative scans (processed for cropping, contrast, and spotting only) are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntenny/...7635349631949/. I sort of wanted to toot my own horn, I guess, but also to hear any thoughts others might have on this sort of event. I know nobody's figured out how to summon up the magic on cue, but how do you "gently encourage" this kind of visit from the Consistency Fairy?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think we all are visited by the muse and get a "magic roll" every now and then. It's a good thing!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It's as if someone else, someone who actually knew what they were doing, took over my hands that afternoon!

If I did anything to get myself in the zone, it was just a day of driving around in the desert summer and taking pictures. The location was pretty good, but no better than plenty of others; I didn't meditate or fast or anything like that; on everything else I shot that day I had a good but not exceptional "hit" rate.

I know nobody's figured out how to summon up the magic on cue, but how do you "gently encourage" this kind of visit from the Consistency Fairy?

That's Zen photography. Put some on the gallery.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wow, nice shots. I think 9 (the first dunes) is my favourite.
    I see you re-composed for a second shot (10) slightly to the left of that one, but I think the first was best (I do that all the time, recompose or re-focus or whatever 5 times, then when I get home the first was the best anyway).
    Love that efke.
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 09-03-2013 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice images. I have had a similar run from time to time but never a whole roll as consistently good. Makes me want to return to New Mexico and take another run at Taos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had been wondering where the Consistency Fairy was on that day. Glad to know you had her chained in the back of your car. She worked overtime on your negs. Good looking stuff and you owe her big time. Let her loose from time to time so others of us may temp her out here to NC from time to time. We need here too. Good wrok.
    Logan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Don't you just love those day!? I really like the high-key effect of these images. I find it hard to capture the absolute intensity of the desert sun in my images, but you accomplished it very well and might have just inspired me to experiment a bit.

On that note, my last trip out with the 4x5 was keeper per keeper. If it wasn't for taking doubles just to be safe, I'd say 4 for 4. In fact, I just printed one at 20x24 because I was so pleased.

Blessed be those days.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've learned something disturbing from this experience: if you put the words "my wife" in the description of a photo on Flickr, you get a LOT of hits in a big hurry from search queries. I do NOT recommend that you check to see what those people might be searching for, because it is pretty much exactly what you think it might be!

Thus far, less than 24 hours after posting, the one photo where I mentioned her reaction has 166 views. 44 of those are people coming from the set (that's you guys); of the remaining 122 visits, 97 of them were referred from searches on "wife", "my wife", etc. I mean, I know guys like female body parts and all that, but I didn't realize marital exhibitionism was this much of a Thing on Flickr!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, why else would there be so many nude 'fine art' prints out there?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in that case, don't type 'my wife' into the search box at deviant art... I thought you weren't allowed to post such stuff on flickr anyway?

Could also be a useful google-bomb (tag-mining?) whatever they call it, just tag all your photos with 'my wife' and let all the hits roll in...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin