Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,860   Online: 910

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A new lens always gives me inspiration/excuse to do more shooting. If not I try a different film @ a different max/min speed to mix up the variables that can occur. Another way out is to MOVE to a new residence and start over again ;o)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    what do you do when you are in a rut?

Dig deeper.
    Reminds me of the lessons in driving I got from my mom *who would drive a Cadillac on the dirt road up Trabuco Canyon to Holy Jim* ...

At night the headlights will show the biggest rocks, and the ruts will be dark.

Drive left and right as necessary to put at least one of the wheels on the ridge between the ruts. Left or right depends which side the big rocks are ahead. You want to avoid the trouble.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    my photo mojo seems to be missing.
    Mojo defined: a magic spell, hex, or charm.

Don't rely on magic in this case. This takes me back to one of several AA workshops, in which an assistant (Al Weber) conducted a group discussion by asking "Why do you photograph?" I was caught with my mouth hanging open, without having really thought about it. Don't know if this applies in your case, but many are caught up in GAS and if they ever get to the point where they've "got enough gear" they may be stumped by "what to do with it all." Others are satisfied with just messing with processes, that's okay too. But in the end it becomes a question of "are you satisfied with your results?" And if a photographer doesn't have a clear goal in mind for results, (s)he can feel a little lost. And I think this is what Al was driving at. Years later I read that a person who is successful (meaning goals achieved) (s)he knows the WHY, not just the HOW. I'm not preaching (not qualified), just hope this may help.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Inverted First Rule of Holes??

Ken

Unfortunately, a little too deep for this crowd.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Unfortunately, a little too deep for this crowd.
    Wow...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do an Assignment

Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    so how do i change things up?
    Try this:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum195/...high-noon.html
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remind yourself that nobody can be creative/produce masterpieces all the time-everyone gets dead spells now and then, so just go and do something else. Then it's surprising how often you'll see new pictures . Try not, do, or do not....there is no try!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I get stuck in a rut I usually take some time to relax and watch some inspiring photography videos on YouTube, read photography-related articles, etc. That way my "down time" from shooting is spent productively by learning more about photography .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Photography is communication. For it to work, you must have something to say. What you want to say need not be earth-shattering in importance. Nor even of any interest to others. But you must have something.

Do you know what it is you want to say?

Don't bother picking up a camera until you do...

Ken
    I stopped reading after this post because this is not only what it is about, this is WHAT it is about. To the OP, you might need a change of scenery, not from a photographic POV, but from a personal POV. Figure out what picks your curiosity, what makes you mad, whar makes you sad, what makes happy, what makes you horny, whatever it is as long as it has passion in it...as long as it is you. Then imagery will flow naturally.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin