Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,883   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

what do you do when you are in a rut?

my photo mojo seems to be missing. I decided I was going to go out for the day and shoot a few weekends ago. got up in the morning, had a cup of coffee and sat down to think of where I could go. Nothing came to mind. every place i thought about came, I came up with ideas about why I shouldnt go there. and I could not come up with a new idea. well, I did have some new ideas, but shot them down. To far to drive, not good lighting or some other excuse. I spend a few hours a week thinking of places to go, things to try..... nothing. I did sign up for an advanced B&W class at the local junior college (who has a real amazing film/photography department) to force me back into things.

so how do i change things up? I told myself i was going to try a new B&W developer, so i needed to shoot some rolls to try it out. Nothing interesting on the rolls. maybe one keeper out of 60+ shots. bland photos. pix an ass like me would normally criticize as being taken by a digital shooter chimping. can you say hypocrite?

what to do? can i see the photography shrink?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why not set yourself a project which is perhaps not dependent on particular places? Such as, produce 50 shots in a portfolio book on tone and texture in black & white. By doing this it may give you other ideas.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or have someone you know (in my case my wife) select a subject. I had her do it once. Told her to give it some thought, not to be "too" specific. She spent a day or so thinking about it then shared it with me. Worked out well. No prize winners resulted, but it was kind of fun going with a direction set by someone else.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    nothing to shoot around san jose? wow. come to toronto for a while--you'll be shooting like mad when you're back home

just go for a walk. camera in pocket, but you're going for a walk. don't even think about shooting. keep doing it day after day, just walking, looking at people, talking to people, joining philosophical discussions or saying fluff about the weather--until one day you'll just pull out the camera and start shooting again. let the pictures do the driving, don't shoot because you have a plan

for now, the important part is to put it away (while keeping it close )

ps. and if it never comes back, there's nothing wrong with it either

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've recently wandered into the same rut, my problem is I'm fairly picky about what I shoot, and I've for the most part shot everything I can find locally. Now don't get me wrong some days I go out and see alot of subjects to shoot and other days I see a few or none at all. My solution? I sent out scouts, just this morning my grandfather called to tell me that he had found some old half burnt factory that sounds pretty interesting, I'm headed that way after work, and good thing too I haven't shot a frame in almost two weeks. Sometimes you have to drive a little ways, personally I love to drive but money has been tight lately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photography is communication. For it to work, you must have something to say. What you want to say need not be earth-shattering in importance. Nor even of any interest to others. But you must have something.

Do you know what it is you want to say?

Don't bother picking up a camera until you do...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Go to the upcoming George Tice and Paul Caponigro shows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part of the fun of photography is that it helps you find beauty you would not have noticed if you didn't make the effort. I live essentially in a postcard; the coast of Maine, but I don't look for postcard photos. Tired of that long ago. I just go for walks with my camera, and not to hunt beauty, but with the idea that beauty is everywhere, and I need to find the composition or combination that shows it well in silver.

If you don't think the lighting is right, it should only be be known because you've already been there every hour of the day at one time or another, otherwise it's an excuse. Even if the lighting is wrong, you can still scout things out or discover subjects you weren't thinking about. I don't spend time thinking up places to go. I've got five stomping grounds I'm game for visiting anytime, all just minutes from home. I've been to each of them a dozen or more times or perhaps hundreds, but still find something worthy of some film. Essentially, think of Thoreau. He couldn't travel far without cars or planes. He went on simple walks or staycation adventures regularly and continually managed to absorb amazement from the surroundings. He used a pen, we use cameras. Read his very short walking book for some inspiration.

As a photographer, on LFPF, jcoldslabs claims to never venture more than a mile or two from his urban home and is always covering new ground creatively.

I went to San Jose last year and had a great time along the coast after a short drive west to Santa Cruz. Very nice photography. The rolling hill farmland south and west of San Jose was quite inspiring as well. I didn't have a chance to see what was east of the city. I spent half a day at point lobos but could easily spend weeks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say things come and go. First, don't stew over it or beat yourself up about it -- it's supposed to be fun!

Second, keep open eyes and mind as you travel through your daily routine with or without a camera. Several months back I was driving through a neighboring town on a mundane mission when I just happened to glance up and note morning light really enhancing the appearance of a turret on a probably century old house. I made a note of it, and it admittedly took a while, but I eventually went back and took shots looking up at several such roof lines -- now my "Towers and Turrets" series! Three of them are currently hanging in a juried show and I have noted more candidates in other nearby towns. (Only problem is to avoid running into something whilst driving around looking at rooftops! )

Third, try a radical departure from your usual, whatever that may be. Usually photograph neat old buildings? Move in and shoot macros of old locks, bricks or door hinges. Like flowers -- do a closeup study on leaves. Usually do portraits -- shoot some old rusty cars or railroad rolling stock. In short, stir up the pot a little.

No charge for this distillation of 72 years accumulated dubious wisdom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the class will help you realize how much there is to photograph.

I do recommend that you begin to form an idea as to a portfolio, which although not well defined (for the sake of creativity), should have a theme which people can take note of without having to tell them other than through your photos.

I sometimes feel like im in a rut, but after realizing the lack of time, i've a certain urge to do as much as possible (concerning photography).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin