Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,699   Online: 844

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    People tend to define themselves to themselves by what they love doing, and who they really are, not what they have to do to make a living.
    This is often wishful thinking. A man is defined by his job. Often (not always) much of a man's self worth comes from his job. This is probably more so when he doesn't have hobbies, a muggle as someone has said. I've seen people get severely depressed or stressed by the process of changing careers or losing a fairly boring job.

Most of the people I know at the grocery store or walmart are apt to be people who know me because of my computer work. (I used to advertise on local TV by being part of a show). How other people define you does have influence as well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Mine goes the other way. I have been nothing but a photographer my whole life 24-61. Last year I decided to do something (anything) different part time. I took a job selling artisan meat products in local farmer's markets on the weekends. It is unlike anything I have ever done before and causes me (normally a recluse and darkroom rat) to stand in crowded markets and talk all day to people about the meat product. All the people who know me in the markets consider me the "Salami guy". Most people assume I own the meat company since I am an old man selling in the market. No one at all suspects that most my time is spent thinking about visual art.
    The other day I asked the goofy lady who sells balloons at the markets if she does anything else in life. Yes... she is a photographer and a documentary film maker. Never would have thought it.
    Dennis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    People usually know me as an ancient photographer, not as a retired Navy communications technician and one-time graphics arts production worker and substitute rural mail carrier. That Navy career was inspiring for a budding photographer, with great locales and opportunities to buy top equipment at affordable prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I was in an exhibition a few years back, while I was still working (retired, now, thanks), and several people from my office actually came to the opening reception. To one particular individual for whom our job was HIS defining task, I remarked that "this (photography) is why it will not say 'auditor' on my tombstone."
    Great quote at the end of that reply. Someone said earlier (forgive me for not giving proper credit) that much of a mans self worth comes from his job. Although that may be true, I feel as though that is looking through the eyes of others. When looking introspectively I believe self worth comes from the happiness derived from producing quality work (although I lose the term "quality work" loosely when talking about myself )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A minister once commented he'd heard a lot of deathbed comments and last words and never once has he heard anyone say, "I wish I had spent more time at the office."

I don't define myself in the slightest by my job, which is just something I have to do to pay the bills and be able to afford to do the things I want that give my life meaning. My profession? "Eh, it's indoor work with no heavy lifting."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being a photographer is only my cover story, I'm really a bouncer at Mothercare.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm an IT guy. In my current job I wear many hats - programmer, system administrator, database administrator, and probably a couple more I can't think of right now. Plus I'm the network admin at home. Got back into serious (film) photography in late 2010, and added cycling in 2012.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

I'm a photographer by day and a cross dressing hockey player at night.

I hope one day the photography will become as fulfilling as the how my evenings are occupied.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In my current job I wear many hats - programmer, system administrator, database administrator, and probably a couple more I can't think of right now. Plus I'm the network admin at home.
    Same here, plus you can add "boss" to that list - at least some days. Day job work ceased to be a defining thing for me years ago. More people on APUG know what my day job is than do local people I know. I almost never discuss anything about my day job with anyone outside the factory, nor do I have much of an idea of what any of my co-workers do in the real world. Don't get me wrong, I can still "get into" a good work project from time to time (writing device drivers is fun) and it is a good place to work, but it has long been the other things I do from which I take most satisfaction and fulfillment. If the local people define me as anything it is as a coach and president of one of the local soccer leagues. And, frankly, that role and photography has opened more doors for me than my day job ever could.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Yes. Before I usually wanted to separate one from the other (ie. didn't want that people knew I did photography). Nowadays I'm opening up and let parts of each "character" overlap.

I am a 18 year old business student.

In the core I feel a traveler, adventurer; curious and loving to stroll around. Transportation media and photography get integrated in here. My father loved to travel and he did, a lot. I think I inherited that character.
    Also of this I love to listen and enjoy music and as a private moment. Not hear, LISTEN (unlike many people do nowadays). When I put the music on the stereo, I dislike having anyone around, that's a private moment.
    The above is what I feel about my creative side.

At college/university, unlike work; the environment is rather different (friends, classes et al). I enjoy the times with my friends there however in some sense I feel I'm not quite relate to them and there are things that drive me crazy. I happen to be in a quite good university, very demanding... Many of the people are well off and very ambitious.
    Add in the stress of studying, essays and exams.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    We spend so much time at work that it does shape us; there's no escaping it.

So, the summary psychological effect is that I'm able to explore both my logical and structured brain, and the intuitive and emotional one.
    Really agree, in my summer holidays I happened to do much more family life and adopted a different perspective.
    I slowly became shaped as my classmates; but knew I shouldn't and at the end I didn't want. I distanced a bit (in a way of thinking manner).
    Quoting one of my friends there: "This is why I study business" (pointing to a luxury car). I am sorry, but I disagree and if that is the end of what I'm currently doing... NO. It's the opposite of what I feel are my values. So I learnt how many people can't position themselves in someone else's situation and how one should be True to him/herself.

And I agree with you Thomas. For me Photography, Travel and Music are my Insanity Asylum. I could take example of you because I am a few steps below of where you are, in a career sense.

Sorry for the rant

A family friend told me once that I can be both a humorous, happy, witty and "loose" person but also serious and professional; She is a phycologist and said this is great. When I feel quite comfortable I let loose the former.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin