Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,819   Online: 1157

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inspiration..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Zan,

You may find some help on this thread http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/4074-photographer-s-block.html In particular I found Les's suggestion of taking a camera for a walk very helpful.

Apart from that, why not try the APUG Photo Challenge (shameless plug!). There are a few threads for that one, but if you read the first post here and then this post, it'll probably make sense! (PM me if not!)

All the best with your search for inspiration,

Frank

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am on very low budget, too. Therefore I have gotten into some still-life shooting. That you can do @ home taking photos of whatever inspires you. Look around for interesting shapes as cutlery, kitchen utensils, a vase, some flowers, food et.al. I have shot a lot of this stuff and it is fun!

Images
    Zan, you're not alone. Having grown up in a similar geographic area (Athens, TN), I always had the same problem. "Ah ha," I thought, after making successful pictures all over the world, "I'll go visit my kinfolks and see why I could have been photographing when I was a kid."
    The result: almost total failure. Scenically beautiful, it was photographically boring. You can only make so many pictures of old barns and scrub pinewoods, and besides most of the countryside has now been fenced off.
    Forget the scenic photographs, and photograph the people and things which are important to you now.
    Incidentally, for my first few years in photography I had only an old 9x12 cm sheetfilm camera, and like you only contact printed under a 7.5 watt bulb. I recently came across some of these 50+ year old prints, and find them nostalgically interesting, but photographically boring.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Art doesn't have to be "pretty"...show us how ugly it is!...where is it the ugliest?...what's it like when one ugly area meets another?...are there isolated nice bits surrounded by ugly?...is it still ugly at dawn...dusk...night?...are really small bits of ugly when seen close up still ugly?...are ugly, decaying buildings/trees ugly?...what is your definition, expressed as a photograph, of "ugly"?

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Zan, I just re-read your post...it seems to me you have nothing to worry about; you are just in the mandatory "navel gazing" period one needs to grovel in before leaping over the edge! You are about to launch into totally unknown ground - this would cause anybody with a shred of artistic sensabilities to question many aspects of their work, including subject matter.

If you have the motivation to aquire 8x10 gear on a students budget, there is obviously a deeply rooted N E E D that you are unable to define at the moment. Don't sweat it...take the new gear out...photograph nothing in particular...get comfortable...get familiar with handling those huge negatives in the developer...then you'll probably start to see the images you know are inside, yet are still hidden from your view.

Artistic vision, clearly seen and manifested honestly through photography onto paper will always transcend the mundane, the familiar, the sterile, the ugly...into ART!

Through the blood, sweat, tears, unanswered questions, and joy of your new endevour...HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Murray

Zan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    wow murray, what a response. Thanks, I feel better already!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey, no problem Zan!

I've found myself in such situations in the past...usually just before busting out of a period of inactivity in a flury of image making. I've stopped calling them dry spells and now consider myself "Episodic".

I once saw an interview with the creator of the comic series, Spawn. He said there are those that tippy-toe to the edge in life, peer carefully over, and try to figure out a safe place to land. Then there are those that run hell-bent over the edge and figure it out on the way down. It sounds like you're in the second group! Dare to dream........

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As time goes by, few people ever regret having made bold choices. They get all bitter and wistful about the ones they didn't make.

As an alternative, find a new girlfriend (has always worked for me!)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin