Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,113   Online: 811

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration..

Zan

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Inspiration..

Ive been shooting 4x5 and contact printing with a 7.5 watt light bulb ever since I started 4 years ago (with an ancient crown graphic). Recently I decided to really focus on contact printing, and decided to get an 8x10. Im about 10days away from having a complete 8x10 setup going, and it has taken alot of time and effort to get everything together. I havent shot much in awhile, and Im growing seriously disillusioned to the area I live in (Athens, GA). I love outdoor photography and Im really excited about 8x10 and AZO, but Im afraid that Ive lost all inspiration with where Im at geographically. I dont get to travel much at all as Im a student here at the University.. Does anyone here have experiences with this? Possible workarounds? Gripes about my confusing posts?

I really think this part of the US is just ugly and uninteresting..

Images
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    We all do at times. I live in Hawaii (Oahu) and after awhile I find myself going to the same spots over and over. I found that by making a list of places on the island to shoot, I was going to new spots and re-inspired. I haven't been in you area in years, but I know there are nice places there. Make a list, and shoot something new.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Zan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ive been playing music since I was ten years old. Trumpet for 12 years, guitar for 7, and banjo for 3... No problem on the music front

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Backyard Photo

Zan-I can under stand your frustration. Sometimes it is just easier to put the camera away for awhile and concentrate on making prints or some other activity. I've sort of been forced to remain in the NY metro area;mainly CT.. I live by the shoreline and I too grow weary of the subject matter. But by waiting for either the right light or day the same scene we have driven past 100 times can become a new reality. Go get yourself some polaroid and get some immediate feedback for yourself. Go look at other photographers work in books if neccessary. There is always inspiration to be had. In Michael Smiths book; A Visual Journey; he photographed maps. I don't believe he did it out of boredom but it was what he wanted to express at that moment. Lastly,this is supposed to be fun so try that approach first.
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan
    Ive been playing music since I was ten years old. Trumpet for 12 years, guitar for 7, and banjo for 3... No problem on the music front
    But, I'd bet you haven't been playing the same tune over and over again all that time.

That's often essentially the rut we get in as photographers. So, one approach might be to research your own area as if you were a tourist coming in from the outside for vacation. Check local tourism websites for "attractions" and "events" - that sort of thing. Also, if you generally shoot one style of images, flowers, let's say, try something quite different, such as architecture. Get out of whatever rut you might be in and explore the one next door.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank you for your replys! I have been looking at any photographers books I can get my hands on. The Westons, Minor White, Mortensen, Adams of course, and a stack of others that are still overdue at the Univ. Library. I have had it in my head for some time that I would very much like to do a "series" of photographs that relate to each other. Ever since I saw this photo: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...t=last7&page=2 The idea has been kind of burning away in my skull. I have yet to come up with any good subjects tho..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rootberry
    . . . I have had it in my head for some time that I would very much like to do a "series" of photographs that relate to each other. Ever since I saw this photo: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...t=last7&page=2 The idea has been kind of burning away in my skull. I have yet to come up with any good subjects tho..
    How about taking something that typifies Athens, something you're otherwise bored with, and shooting it in several different "extreme" ways? Extreme might be high-key vs. low-key, sunrise/noon/sunset, isolated vs. in-context, etc.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was in a slight rut last summer, so to break it I went out and photographed the ugliest/most boring scenery I could find. Trash strewn alleys, empty parking lots, boring brick walls, unremarkable streets, wilting plants with no flowers. Wasn't long when before I realized I was having a hard time doing this because "good" scenes started poping up all over the place. I think it took about 2 rolls before I was back doing what I liked.
    What Ralph suggested also works good. If you do landscapes, switch to taking close up, take an small part of the scenery and do just that. Zero in instead of broad horizons. The door knob instead of the whole house.

Happy hunting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Likes like many good suggestions here When I get into a rut, I change format or change from tight to open shots and vice versa or go for people and environment type stuff. Many times, I will just set up and just sit and look at what there is to see just to recharge how I see things. Drives my family crazy when I take 30 minutes to set up and then, without taking a shot, pack up and move elsewhere. They are the types that jump out of the car, go click click click and then settles back in the car waiting for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin