Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,440   Online: 1002

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Truth is I'm just not that "artistic" of a photographer. I'm not sure any picture I take is wort $5-10 on a sheet of film. X-Ray film is 30 cents a sheet, and my pictures probably are not even worthy of that.
    I don't consider my pictures "art". I don't even consider myself a "photographer"; although some others seem to have differing opinions.
    What I do strive for is craftmanship. In the big picture, when I look at the pleasure and sense of accomplishment I derive from it the amount of money I spend per annum is utterly insignificant. I'll point out that I use 35mm, 6x6/6x7cm, 4x5 and 8x10 formats - frequency in that order; B&W, E-6, and C-41 in 35 and 6x6/6x7, B&W in the larger sizes - T-Max 100 in 4x5, Tri-X in 8x10. It's all a matter of prioritising what I spend on.

When someone tells me "I can't afford ...." I suggest that they keep a log of every dollar and cent they spend over one month, then look at the log, multiply by twelve, and actually see where their money goes - everyone - without exception - who does this is shocked at the amount of cash that dribbles away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    No, not that rare at all.
    Yeah, I don't think it's rare. I buy both 4x5 TMY-2 and Arista re-branded Foma 4x5. I often shoot at least one sheet of each of the same subject. The Arista is cheap enough I can afford to shoot it in addition to the Kodak.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I have to do things like X-ray film. I never recovered from the 2008 crash. Still struggle desperately to keep my head above water. I agree totally, but gotta do something.
    Keep yer head up Tom, you've found a way to continue your art through all the unfortunate circumstances only you could understand....don't let the backhandedness of this thread get ya down! You know what you need to do, keep yourself happy, healthy and continuing to make/share (art, ideas, whatever you've to offer)....

If X-ray is what you can afford, you've my admiration for buying a box or two an keep going for the love of art
    Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks and regards. I don't take umbrage. Not with these guys. Besides they're basically right, truth be known. Someday I'll get out of this trap.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Tom - Don't sweat it whatever you decide I could afford nice-fresh-n-perfect-Tri-X-bulk-rolls @$70 each, but I prefer to buy $30-a-bulk-roll-Ultrafine-film....though I also agree in principal w ya re quality-ruling-the-roost; it's just that there little room for situations like you mentioned above or the fact that I'm teaching my kids photography and figure bulk rolls at $30-a-piece is much better to use than the $70 Tri-X; and save the extra $40 for their college fund
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We all do what we can to support the industry and continue to do what we love. I have bought inexpensive film, often expired stuff, just so I could continue shooting.

But...

Gerald's original post was not meant to speak on an individual level. It was meant to point out that in a market as a whole, the total buying power is what dictates what gets produced and not. It comes back to supply and demand, really. We as individuals participate as a microscopic contributor to the market, of course, but it's how we collectively spend our money that matters.

At what price point is there enough profit for the company to continue producing, and at what price point can the market not afford to purchase the product anymore? Kodak may have decided that they want to make huge profit margin with each box of film, and that's fine, as long as they realize the risk of pricing themselves out of the market by reducing demand. Follow the money.

It's completely logical, and not meant to showcase the purchasing habits of any one individual.

It can be argued that Kodak made these pricing decisions in order to make as much money as they could to develop their alternative businesses. (OK, they did). Film and photofinishing products were a cash cow for the rest of the operations, and that may have skewed how they reasoned with respect to supply and demand.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How many of you buy Japanese cameras and lenses ?, because I'm old enough to remember a time when all the same sort of thing people are now saying about Chinese manufactured goods were been said about Japanese products when in fact they could make them better,cheaper, more reliable, and they swept the World with them. The great irony is the biggest communist country in the World is out- capitalisting the capitalists, patriotism is one thing but you can't ignore the facts.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-18-2013 at 09:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    How many of you buy Japanese cameras and lenses ?, because I'm old enough to remember a time when all the same sort of thing people are now saying about Chinese manufactured goods were been said about Japanese products when in fact they could make them better,cheaper, more reliable, and they swept the World with them. The great irony is the biggest communist country in the World is out- capitalisting the capitalists, patriotism is one thing but you can't ignore the facts.
    So true. And it should be pointed out that the Chinese can and do make world-class products, when they want to. It comes down to what the buyer wants, specify crap and that's what they'll deliver.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quality as a discipline began in Asia (Japan) post WWII (ie Juran/Demming)
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    So true. And it should be pointed out that the Chinese can and do make world-class products, when they want to. It comes down to what the buyer wants, specify crap and that's what they'll deliver.
    Yeah, I don't remember anyone here having these "made in China" fits about Shen Hao, for instance. I remember the 1970s and I think the analogy to Japan is apt.

They haven't been Communist, in any real economic sense, for some time, even though that's still the brand name on the Party.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin