Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,551   Online: 824

Shooter
    Multi Format

Do any of you participate in Worldwide Photo Walks?

This will be my first year doing one of these. Not on the one I'm doing, but I've come across a few that requested no tripods. Mine will be done in late evening and twilight, so I hope tripods are allowed. I plan on shooting some Provia 100 in my Nikon F2AS. I hope the leader doesn't assume that everyone will be shooting handheld with the digital cameras cranked up to ISO 6400! Twice I emailed the leader and asked if tripods were OK and no answer. So I'm going to just show up with all the gear I plan on using.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've participated a couple of times in the Scott Kelby walks - mainly because it was an opportunity to get out shooting with a bunch of the people in my (mostly digital) photography club.

If the walk is organized using a website, check the rules there.

If those rules don't answer your question, it may be an issue with respect to the location of the walk, and the number of the participants.

If it isn't obvious that tripods aren't suited to the location or the crowds, I'd show up with at least a monopod (as I did).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did one Scott Kelby walk around Sydney harbour a few years ago. I took my tripod. Left it on a cafe table outside a big hotel while changing film and realised 30 minutes later. Someone kindly left it at reception for me. I also once left it under a seat on a ferry while I photographed on an island in Sydney harbour. 2 hours later the same ferry took me on the return trip and it was just where I left it. My tripod is called "lucky".
    I generally prefer to photograph solo but did it because my son-in-law was one of the promoters and my daughter also came along. Met some nice people over lunch at the end. I don't remember anything about lots of rules to follow. If you will be in public places there should be no restrictions on what you take with you.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/2943275...towalk-sydney/
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've participated in several Kelby Worldwide Photo Walks, and even led one myself last year. I haven't decided if I'm going to partake in one this year or not. I'm a little surprised the walk leader hasn't replied yet, but in my experience these walks are very social, casual affairs. I've shot everything from disposable 35mm to DSLRs while participating, and I'm pretty sure I brought a tripod on more than one occasion. Personally, I wouldn't sweat it. It's highly unlikely anyone is going to object to your use of a tripod, especially if the conditions favor using one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm looking forward to showing off my recently serviced Nikon F2AS-I assume almost everyone else will be shooting digital. Think I'll carry the N6000 also because it's quicker and easier to switch bodies rather than change film in one body. The 6000 will be good when twilight hits because it has shutter speeds down to 30 secs. On the F2as, the longest speed on the dial is 1 sec. You can use the self timer lever to open it from 2-10 secs, but it's awkward.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Living in the UK, I've not heard of these "Worldwide Walks". I do go walking, exploring old footpaths, but here is my point: Surely walking with a camera is an "individual" thing?...For me, successful photography has to be a solitary experience away from the distraction of a group.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin