Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,661   Online: 1143

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never take it for granted, Mark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    The craft serves the content.
    Perfectly succinct.
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I never take it for granted, Mark.
    Didn't really think you did.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbultman View Post
    Perfectly succinct.
    Yep.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi mark

i understand what you are saying, that often times the way we get better at what we do
    is by letting people see it and give their opinions of it, so we can digest and get better ...

i guess what i was trying to suggest ( not very well ) was that sometimes
    things are not what they seem. and while people ( family ? general public? colleagues? flickatzi? )
    may like imagery may be for different reasons why the photographer made them.
    some may like the vivid colours, the cropping the fauvist tendencies a series of images present
    while the photographs may not have anything to do with the colors at all but a deeper meaning ..

i couldn't agree with you more though, having photographs displayed in a public ( or private ) space
    is a privilege and hearing people's opinions good or bad is probably the best thing that can happen to anyone ...
    that is unless they don't want that ...

i often wonder what vivian maier was like. she had a wonderful eye but there may have been a reason she never presented
    her photographs to be seen. maybe her work was too personal and what people are seeing as "street photography"
    was actually something completely different to her.

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    How do you figure out if the image rocks?
    Contact sheet.

I am not in any way saying the craft does not matter, it most certainly does but when it comes to making a print, the photograph that I made on the negative has to warrant the effort of a print to begin with. When working with my chosen medium of black and white film, I shoot only for my self. But what almost always rings true is that what I happen to like, the audience does too and when you get a following, they trust your visual judgement, want to see more.

When I have great shot on a well crafted neg, then yes, the rest of the craft is game on all the way to the end result.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 09-30-2013 at 02:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin