Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,939   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find that a few minutes out of my busy schedule of shooting really does not make ANY difference. Not that you would have to explain the whole process of developing and printing the film of the shot to them but a bit of courtesy goes a long way in the world. Yes you over reacted for a simple explanation. I do not know you personally but from reading your posts you seem like a nice gentleman so the swearing sounds like you were just having a bad day. As for the sunrise @ Lake Louise it has been done by many many people in the past so what you were doing was just an interest not a competition issue. BTW The best shots I have found were the sunsets looking out across the lake. Hope you had good light the whole trip.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 09-29-2013 at 12:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If that's the way you treat other photographers I'm not even sure why you are asking for my opinion on this, but in any case... I would say not cool at all. If someone is bothering you it is possible to communicate that to them without being a complete dick about it. Or, god forbid, maybe a friendly word or two.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If people come up to me and start in with the 3rd degree, I just tell them something like "the drug store was out of digital film for my cell phone, so I had to bring this camera instead". (nevermind that I don't own a cell phone, but they don't know that).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Personally, I fail to see the need to abandon basic civility and to become so enraged that you feel the need to curse to a stranger and refer to him as a "cretin." I understand your annoyance and would also likely be annoyed, but I think you could probably have expressed that in a more civil fashion. But, in fairness, I wasn't there and might have reacted differently (perhaps like you did) had I been in your shoes...
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you need to lay off the coffee for a while. Talking w/ interested parties is part of the fun (not all people are interested, they're often pi**ed if they're in the shots), and who cares if someone takes photos where you did? As a film shooter, I'm used to being pointedly ignored as the old duff who can't even afford a digital camera (I've seen people actually shake their head and walk away when they see it's a film camera), so anyone who is actually interested is a treat for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For your information it was my father who discovered the "perfect location" for a sunrise shot @ Lake Louise back in 1956 while you were just a glow in your daddies eye. He used a 126 camera. I still have the digital negative. There was film photography before you entered life so take a breath and think before reacting. Thanks Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd say you overreacted. I'd have been annoyed too, but I think the responses were perhaps a bit too much. I'm not saying, however, that you had to waste a lot of time, put up with it, or be more kind than they were. Saying "I'm sorry, I'm concentrating on this right now" may have allowed some people to back down - if that didn't work, then perhaps I'd be a bit more stern or sarcastic.

For the LCD comment, you could ask in return, in the same manner the person did, how he could get a good shot looking at a screen instead of at the actual object/area he was photographing. Both questions are stupid, but if he felt his was valid, then reversing the question is just as valid (despite any rationalization on either part).

I agree that using your tripod impressions would not give others a great shot; if they feel they have to use the exact marks, they are probably not good enough to pull it off. Even if you wanted to brush away the impressions, I think doing so _discretely_ without comment would have been better.

That said, I am waiting to make a smart-ass comment regarding how many megapixels my film camera has. If a stranger asks, I will explain things nicely. However, a few men I work with do ask that kind of question, and I know them well enough that I can ask in return "what size shoe do you wear?"
    Truzi

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    What annoys me more, though, is that a lot of folks don't seem to clue in to the idea that I am working, and I do not wish to be disturbed when doing so (apparently a lot of folks don't have the ability to read social cueing?).
    I like watching other photographers and sometimes I approach them. As I do with other people who are working. I try not be too intrusive depending on their activity. But seemingly you and me could not get along.
    That's life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you overreacted. Someone showing an interest in photography and starting to start a conversation is a good thing to me. If he disrupted your work, there is nothing wrong with 'give me a minute till I have that shot taken' and then answer their question and maybe kindle some excitement in that person to bring a camera next time around.

Also what is the issue with people taken the same photo as you do? You are taking the image for you and not for the purpose of being the only one. When I started out in photography many a few decades ago, I would also try and learn from more experienced photographers and getting the best composition out of the scene is one of those things. I am sure you are a great photographer, so take it as a compliment that others want to take the same image that you just took.

To me photography is a passion that I love sharing with others and if I can help someone get a better picture and give them some assistance, I am happy to do it, because there were tons of photographers doing the same for me.

Just my two cents ...
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK
    What annoys me more, though, is that a lot of folks don't seem to clue in to the idea that I am working, and I do not wish to be disturbed when doing so (apparently a lot of folks don't have the ability to read social cueing?).
    how are they supposed to know that you are working? what "social cues" are you offering? that you have two cameras? that they're "pro" cameras? that you have a tripod? that you have a "professional look" ? that you swear violently, aggressively and abusively at total strangers?

it may be that you are the one who can't read social cues.

as for kicking over your tripod marks, let alone the further aggression towards a stranger ... I was going to words fail me, but in fact it strikes me as the behaviour of a spoilt toddler.

however, you've taken the opportunity to describe publicly some really unacceptable behaviour, and ask for feedback. Some has been blunt like mine and some has been less direct, but it does seem most people agree you were out of line. it's probably impossible to find a way to apologise to the people towards whom you were so aggressively unpleasant, but lets hope the feedback you've got makes sure you don't find yoursself worrying about your behaviour again.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin